first ever language

why the hell were the indo-europeans so influential in the development of modern language? i can understand latin(roman empire and then recycled by french).

does anyone know anything about the indo-europeans? i heard the closest to their original language is sanskrit, is there any validity to that?

• 2 weeks later...
why the hell were the indo-europeans so influential in the development of modern language?

Beacause they were around. What else might you mean?

does anyone know anything about the indo-europeans? i heard the closest to their original language is sanskrit, is there any validity to that?

Yes, and no. Sanskrit is distant in time and space from Indo-European.

• 1 month later...

this might not be the first language known to 'humans'. But, no matter what creature you look at, all of them have a language they speak (usually non-verbal).

-Insects are probably, and most-likely, the longest-living species on this planet. Each speaks in its own way. example: a bee 'dances' in its hive to tell other bees about intruders, food or it could carry a message from the queen.

so, if you think about it, i guess this could be the first language ever used...

Yeah, but its possible that less derived hominids, such as Java Man, could have used a combination of gutteral sounds and gestures, and new studies of Flores Man shows that there's a good chance they had the brains to do so. If you don't think body language is a valid language, piss a deaf girl off. Trust me, you'll learn that even if you don't understand it, you get the gist of she wants you to know.

If you don't think body language is a valid language, piss a deaf girl off. Trust me, you'll learn that even if you don't understand it, you get the gist of she wants you to know.

If that's a tip from personal experience, it definitely sounds like a story worth hearing.... ;):D

Yeah, but its possible that less derived hominids, such as Java Man, could have used a combination of gutteral sounds and gestures, and new studies of Flores Man shows that there's a good chance they had the brains to do so. If you don't think body language is a valid language, piss a deaf girl off. Trust me, you'll learn that even if you don't understand it, you get the gist of she wants you to know.

True, and we still use more than just vocalization to communicate, it is just our main form of communicating. About that new study, can you give a source? I would love to read anything new about Floresiensis. I definintely think body language is valid. Heck, you can communicate with other species that way. You can tell what your dogs wants very well by it's posture and gestures. Monkeys and apes also have very similar gestures and expressions. For instance I was at a zoo and looking at two macaque monkeys, and it wasn't hard to tell what mood they were in. One was clearly bored (poor guy) and one was acting very annoyed at me and my girlfriend.

why the hell were the indo-europeans so influential in the development of modern language? i can understand latin(roman empire and then recycled by french).

does anyone know anything about the indo-europeans? i heard the closest to their original language is sanskrit' date=' is there any validity to that?[/quote']

I had to learn sanskrit in school. it's utter hell. Luckily I moved to UK, before I had to take any exams on it.

I'll see if I can't dig up my source for the brain scan, I had a valid sciency one, but I might only be able to find news articles - I lost all my 'favorite files' a while back, can't find crap

cool. On a side note, I noticed things are really happening with bioanthropology lately. An article I read about last night dscribed the complete reconstruction of a neandertal, and new insights into their anatomy. I will try and find the article, if anyone is interested.

that sounds awesome!! Plus there's that new unnamed, fully erect protohuman dating before Austrapithicus (sp?). P.S. Still searching for te science source, no luck, will a article do?

Yeah it was cool. It turns out they (neandertals) are a side branch of our family tree, and not our ancestors (for those who didn't already suspect as much) based on very different anatomical features. They are also shorter and stockier, and more strong than we thought. I love how science is always improving. Yes, I heard about that new hominid find, but the article disappeared befor I got around to reading it. Fully erect before australopithecus and paranthropus! I can't wait to read about it. Oh yeah, anything will do, thanks a lot. :D

• 2 weeks later...

i heard over 60% of language is spoken through the body......anyways, read my post that i posted way up near the top, haha, no1 responded to it and i feel like it was useless SO SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING

-by the way, those r awesome links you gave!!! thanks

i heard over 60% of language is spoken through the body
For this to be true, you must be using the word language very loosely. There are many ways to communicate. Methods of communication are not necessarily langauge, except in a very loose way such as you seem to be using the word. Langauges have articulated phonemes that conform to a syntactic pattern thate enables the phonemes to convey meaning. Your insect langauge, for example, has no nouns, adjectives, verbs, etc. I would not call this a language. Can you elaborate on what you mean by your statement that I cited here? You use the word spoken, which to me means that sounds are articulated. What does it mean that language is "spoken" though the body?

when i said about 60% of language is made through the body i meant that we use gestures to show how we feel, what we want, or we could just smile to show someone yourhappy. or you could wave to someone to communicate a greeting.

another way to put it is that about 60% of language is unspoken

when i said about 60% of language is made through the body i meant that we use gestures to show how we feel' date=' what we want, or we could just smile to show someone yourhappy. or you could wave to someone to communicate a greeting.

another way to put it is that about 60% of language is unspoken[/quote']

I understand now. Again, I think that you are using the word language very loosely, and not in a technically accurate manner. I think that what you mean to suggest is that 60% of communication is non-verbal. This seems about right. But non-verbal communication is not in itself language.