Physics or Chemistry

Phil3433

Hi,

I'd like to pursue an undergraduate degree in either physics
or chemistry, starting this fall in Europe (where students must choose
what to study before commencing studies).

Both are physical sciences that study matter, albeit from different perspectives.

How could I decide which one to study?

Thanks!

PS <link removed by moderator> . website lists some applications of physics that I'd like to work on.
But chemistry too lends itself to the study of those applications!

I'd personally chose Chemistry, it's my favourite and I assume it's easier to study.

It is a personal choice and I know I would have struggled with a degree in chemistry. Because of this Phil3433 will have to decide himself.

So how do you decide?

A degree will take up a lot of your time and effort. Think about the fact that in order to do well you will need to work hard and study lots. You need to think about spending the next 3 years on this. Try to imagine yourself studying chemisty like this. Then do the same for physics.

• 2 months later...

You will really need to take a few courses to see. Luckily the first year of a chemistry major and the first year of a physics major are not that different, except for general chemistry you would take as a chem major. Also before you decide completely I would take at least the first semester of organic chemistry.

Do you love math? Physics will be incredibly heavy on math no matter what you do, whereas chemistry there are many options that are relatively light on math, and some that have virtually none (synthetic organic chemistry being the main option if you want to forget about calculus forever).

Edited by spirochete27

I'm in a similar predicament, though my focus is tighter than yours. I'm trying to decide between Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and General Chemistry. Spirochete27 has a point. Physics will be very math heavy; Chemistry, not so much, but there will still be a lot of math either way. Best advise is from AJB. You need to figure out which one you can see yourself studying for hours on end. Do you want to spend that time calculating the motion of the physical world or do you want to handle the processes behind chemical interaction? And my two cents to add is this: don't be like some who change their degree 4-5 times before settling on something. If you're unsure, try to get a lower degree in something like General Studies and fill your electives with classes that would fill requirements of either degree. This way when you do settle on a path, you know it's less likely that you will change later. My older brother didn't listen to this advice when he started college and now he has spent the last 9 years going between different degrees, many times without the classes being able to transfer. However, I've just started working towards my degree (albeit years after I should have started) and am expecting to get my associates by December 2014 if everything goes well.

it is important to realise there are some differences in how the systems work in the US and Europe. Typically in Europe there is less flexibility than in the US, but with that said it can be possible to switch to another degree course early in your studies. I have known people to do this after their first year, but there would need to be some overlap of the courses to make this really possible. This will then depend heavily on the university and the subjects.

As ajb said (and mentioned in OP), in most areas of Europe the curricula are more specialized. How easy it is to switch or start over completely varies from university and may also depend on tuition fees (if they exist).

One way I would go about it is to buy/borrow a well-rounded overview textbook for each topic and read them. Does any of it seems to be more interesting to you than the other (viewpoint wise)?

Another aspect would be based on career choices, but they are often hard to make that early on. I would generally also avoid making the decision based on something such as math. it is a tool in physics but so are all the other things that you will have to learn in any discipline (if you want to become competent that is).

• 4 weeks later...

I'll give you a suggestion to choose chemistry, because chemistry is easier to study than science. And science contains too much courses!

Chemistry is a science and my personal experience was that it was difficult for me. Thus, one cannot really make such definitive claims like that.