flowers

Ankit Gupta

I'm pretty sure it depends on the fragrance you want. Some of it comes from pollen, some from petals, leaves and stalks. There are oils in the roots also. It varies from flower to flower.

It also depends on why you're asking. Is this a question of where perfume fragrances from flowers are obtained, or are you asking what parts exude the fragrance that insects are attracted to?

The fragrances are hydrocarbons that the plant has produced by photosynthesis. I think that, for the most part, flowers convert intermediate hydrocarbon sap at the base of the flower.

Maybe someone could provide a dissection of a flower.

My reasoning is that the aromatics and fragrant chemicals (ketones smell) are not typically precursor to structural hydrocarbons. Structural hydrocarbons (for example: ligands, cellulose, enzymes, lipids, nutrients) are typically retained inside of the plants vascular system, if not especially inside of the cellular structures.

The purpose of these chemicals may be to kill pathogens (perhaps would be pathogens). Often times floral fragrances are sort of queer. They may act as a chemical directive for micro-eukaryotes. Bio-flavaniods are an example.

Edited by vampares

the why is almost certainly to attract insects and or other transmitters of pollen...

Certain flowers also produce scents that repel ants, which are not pollinators, so that pollinating insects are better able to gain access to the flowers.