Windows, Lindows, Linux, Unix, blah blah

DocBill

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill gates isn't satan, he is a business man!

Lindows is stabe, much more so than Win simply because of the quality of programming, and the fact that it is programed in ... moduels, so if one fails the whole system continues functioning. (so ive heard)

Linux/Unix systems are used in almost all servers, so that blares volumes about their stability.

Lindows is campatible with most microsoft programs like Office and such...

So simply try it! You have nothing to loose if you get another system for it... a nice hunk of metal to run Bridge Commander :D

Originally posted by Ryoken

So simply try it! You have nothing to loose if you get another system for it... a nice hunk of metal to run Bridge Commander :D

I LOVE Bridge commander......

I have every ship available, but was afraid it would not run the program.

Thanks!

Bill

Nice avitar

Originally posted by Dudde

right, linux and unix are both superb OS's and I'm guessing that Lindows will be too, since a few of my more nerdier friends seem to love it;)

Not that I condone this sort of thing, but..should a copy of a "Pirated" version suddenly show up at my office I might have to install it.

Bill

Not that I am asking, mind you.

Originally posted by the GardenGnome

Sure Lindows is great, wow. But all it is a Linux with a price tag. I highly recommend RedHat Linux or Debian/GNU Linux.

True.

Lindows is just a Linux build, you're paying for the box and the tech support.

Might as well download the free build of Red Hat and get all the support you need free on the web.

Originally posted by Sayonara³

True.

Lindows is just a Linux build, you're paying for the box and the tech support.

Might as well download the free build of Red Hat and get all the support you need free on the web.

Exactly. Check if your hardware is supported by the Linux distro and and you won't have any problems.

Linux is pointless... less features, less software available.. and none of its advantages are so much better to negate the lack of features and software.

If you actually have to pay M$'s outrageous prices then I guess you would care... but who in their right mind does that any more.

I heard about Lindows, but know very little about it. I would LOVE an OS that is more stable than windows though! However, the only MS stuff I have is the platform itself (Win 98 2nd Ed). None of my 'working' software is MS (I use WordPerfect word processor, SPSS spreadsheet, Corel Graphics & presentations applications and so-on). Does anyone know if Lindows is compatible with these and other non MS applications, or could give me any other salient information about it? If it's compatible, I'd love to give it a go (REALLY fed up with windows!).

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

Windows XP Pro dual booted with Red Hat is where it's at

Indeed I'm running Windoze Expee with Redhat 9.0.

Translation

please?

It means Windows XP Pro with RedHat Linux is the best. A dual-boot is when you have to operating system installed on one machine. Usually when the computer boots you have a bootloader and choose which operating system.

Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

Windows XP Pro dual booted with Red Hat is where it's at

How did you set up a dual boot with Red Hat, only luck I've had with dual boot is with Microsoft systems... and after altering the boot.ini I get a directory error after every boot flash screen.

I think Windows XP pro. beets all others after updates, I havn't had any problems yet!:)

My housemate discovered on monday that his copy of XP was automatically connecting to the M$ megathingy and updating itself without his knowledge.

He firewalled http://www.microsoft.com, which amused me greatly seeing as everything to do with updates and checking goes through windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

Go go magic 2K/Linux dual boots!

Originally posted by Sayonara³

My housemate discovered on monday that his copy of XP was automatically connecting to the M$ megathingy and updating itself without his knowledge.

He firewalled http://www.microsoft.com, which amused me greatly seeing as everything to do with updates and checking goes through windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

Go go magic 2K/Linux dual boots!

Isn't that was Windows does by default? Because I just set it to download the updates maually. And I never do.

How should I know? I'm not using it precisely for reasons like this one.

The bandwidth sequestering, terms in the EULA, and the nasties in SP1 were more than enough to put me off.

Don't you people read the IT news?