To blog or not to blog

Ringer

I've been thinking about creating a blog to identify common arguments against scientific topics such as evolution and ways to answer and educate for people who find themselves arguing with creationists, anti-vaccine people, etc. If I did I like for people to post questions or arguments that commonly (or even not so common) come up that they may have trouble addressing. I was just wondering what the feelings are towards something like that are. Would it be worth the effort and time or would it just be a waste? Input would be much appreciated.

I think blogging is a personal endeavor, and you need to look at it from the standpoint of whether you feel you have something to say, and whether you enjoy it. External measures, like usefulness, are secondary IMO. Your blog can be cute cat pictures, if that's what you want to it to be, and don't worry that other people are doing it too.

What would you do differently from, say, the Index to Creationist Claims?

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/

It wouldn't just have to be Creationist claims, I would be open to any sort of claims and their variations such as different ESP claims. Though I would ask for other's help for things I am not familiar with. Also, the ICC doesn't go very in depth with a lot of their responses, IMO, and tend to just give the information without discussing the problem with the claim's reasoning. The way they have the drop down list may be annoying to some as well, so it may also help to have the responses in a page format instead of having to go back and forth through the indexed list.

I think blogging is a personal endeavor, and you need to look at it from the standpoint of whether you feel you have something to say, and whether you enjoy it. External measures, like usefulness, are secondary IMO. Your blog can be cute cat pictures, if that's what you want to it to be, and don't worry that other people are doing it too.

I agree, and I do enjoy doing these things. I talk to my friends about these types of things and how to go about dealing with them. I thought I could do the same for a wider community if it would be of help. It has also helped me learn quite a bit more than I normally would.

I've been thinking about creating a blog to identify common arguments against scientific topics such as evolution and ways to answer and educate for people who find themselves arguing with creationists, anti-vaccine people, etc. If I did I like for people to post questions or arguments that commonly (or even not so common) come up that they may have trouble addressing. I was just wondering what the feelings are towards something like that are. Would it be worth the effort and time or would it just be a waste? Input would be much appreciated.

That's probably more amenable to blogging than my blog is. I just sporadically rant about philosophy/science, but I've just started what will be an unbelievably long series of posts just to get to talk about one (81 year old) paper at the end of it.

I say the more we flood the internet with good scientific information and writings, the less likely people are to be duped by all the psuedoscientific nonsense out there.

Even if it's already being done you would still be contributing a small part to that effort.

I think a good analogy might be: Just because some billionaire is giving millions to a charity doesn't mean that your ten dollar contribution doesn't aid the cause.