Reducing Nitrates in Your Marine Aquarium With the Vodka Method

Moontanman

Great solution to a difficult problem in marine aquarium husbandry...

vodka.jpg

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/nitratecontrol/a/Reducing-Nitrates-In-Your-Marine-Aquarium-With-The-Vodka-Method.htm

Is it really possible that by sharing a very dry vodka martini with your saltwater aquarium can reduce your nitrate (NO3) and phosphate (PO4) levels? Marine aquarists have experimented with the "Vodka Method" (currently called "Probiotics") for some time with varying reported results.

In the Q & A section of the September 2010 issue of "Aquarium Fish International" magazine, Charles Delbeek, M.SC. (currently a marine biologist at the Steinhart Aquarium in San Fransisco, CA) explains that this is pretty much what he has done in the past. O.K., he didn't really share a vodka martini with a marine reef tank, but it was basically what he did.

That is so counter intuitive. The whole purpose of running a biowheel and biofiltration is to build up the bacteria that break down nitrates. You would assume that alcohol would be detrimental to the "ecosystem".. or am I missing something?

Actually the alcohol is used as a carbon source by bacteria that break down nitrates into nitrogen gas under anaerobic conditions. This was originally done usually done in a container full of gravel that the water is very slowly circulated through so anaerobic conditions would result. The free addition of alcohol to the tank is relatively new and I'm not sure how it works.

I was involved in developing this method nearly 35 years ago using deep gravel beds in separate containers. I think it's interesting that it can work when the alcohol is freely administered to the tank.

I used several carbon sources when i was first experimenting with this method. Methane worked but was difficult to work with, the chemical added to it make it smell so bad had to be removed, methanol worked too but was difficult to obtain in a pure form, at least that i trusted, ethanol was easiest to use and obtain in pure form... everclear <_<