Green Laser Stuff

MolecularMan14

well, they are cooler, i was gonna get one... also, due to the shorter waves length, you can see the green beam which looks cool.

they are the newest part of technology, and expect for the price are good buys, (if you like that kinda thing)

YT (on IRC) said that when red lasers came out they were also ~£40 and now they are ~£10, green lasers (on e-bay) are ~£40, so he thinks that the price will come down in a few years, but you may as well just buy it now!

they also have vastly longer shining distances.

go to e-bay for some cool pictures

CO2 lasers are cool, but are not really in the same category as hand held colour lasers.....

i mean, ones a tool ones a toy, ones harmless (except shining it in people's eyes) and the other is well, a dangerous tool!

nothing wrong with dangerous, just when it comes to what you'd rather have, green laser pointers and CO2 lasers are quite different things.

There is no specific legislation covering the use of lasers in the UK. However, general safety legislation will apply, such as the Health and Safety at Work, etc Act 1974, the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 and the Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992. A suitable and sufficient assessment of the risks from the use of the laser should be made by the employer. Lasers used in domestic equipment will be required to comply with the Trades Descriptions Act 1968 and the General Product Safety Regulations 1994. Any products sold as toys will need to comply with the essential safety requirements of the Toys (Safety) Regulations 1995. Compliance with the current British Standard on laser safety, BS EN 60825-1:1994, is required under European Directives for many laser products, including those operation at voltages in excess of 50 V.

about the company: http://www.nrpb.org/about_us/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...
well, I just bought one, for under $50, so Im just waiting for it to come by mail :)

Just an update, I got it a few days ago (finally :) ) but it's awesome. In the dark you can see a cool beam, and I'll try to send some pics soon. Its extremely powerful! I honestly cannot believe the distance and power of it. I may have scared some of the neighbors a few blocks. It's intense!

from those pics it doesnt look like you can see beam too well... in real life ie. not through the camera, can you see the beam in a normal room (assuming it is dark)???

or do you have to be in a steam room?

what power rating is your laser???? 5mW?

Sayo- yea Im aware of the limit, but It doenst matter, they're reasonably small files :)

5614- the camera actually dulled the beam. In the dark, it really quite bright. But I just put it in the steam room to see what sort of resistance the beam would get from steam. I honestly am not aware of the power rating, but I would assume that since the majority of the same type are 5, so yea, I would guess 5mW. I really cant get over how bright it is!