for those who sit in front of pc for hours everyday

fresh

(i'm not so sure i should put this topic here or not.)

i spend hours in front of PC everyday, i cant avoid it. and i also love to surf internet and watch movie online for hours.

one thing bothers me most is PC radiation/cellphone radiation. it is obviously harmful for us.

it is said:

1.Pc radiation affects sperm quantity&quality of guys who sit in front of pc for hours everyday.

2.Pc radiation also affects women, especially pregnant women. (such as possibility of miscarriage for a certain group of women)

people say cactus can absorb most of pc radiation and it is quite useful. later it is said that is one of top 10 rumors. i cant do experiment on it to see "rumors go bust"

any suggestion how to lower pc radiation as much as possible ? does cactus really work ? :o

many thanks.

Edited by fresh

"one thing bothers me most is PC radiation/cellphone radiation. it is obviously harmful for us."

It's not obvious to me and it's not obvious to the people whose job it is to know about that sort of thing.

"This expert group concluded that there was no clear scientific evidence of harm to health from exposure to mobile phone signals."

from

http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/Radiation/UnderstandingRadiation/UnderstandingRadiationTopics/ElectromagneticFields/MobilePhones/info_HealthAdvice/

Similarly,

"On the basis of current evidence, the HPA does not consider there to be a problem with the safety of WLAN. "

"There is no consistent evidence to date that exposure to RF signals from Wi-Fi and WLANs adversely affect the health of the general population."

"This expert group concluded that there was no clear scientific evidence of harm to health from exposure to mobile phone signals."

from

http://www.hpa.org.u...o_HealthAdvice/

Similarly,

"On the basis of current evidence, the HPA does not consider there to be a problem with the safety of WLAN. "

"There is no consistent evidence to date that exposure to RF signals from Wi-Fi and WLANs adversely affect the health of the general population."

So does PC ? thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

As for computer usage, the last I heard, Italy limits working on computers to four hours per day and requires 15 minutes break time after each hour on computers. I don't remember the reason for this (it could involve posture, eye strain, and/or radiation, etc).

As for pregnant women, I've heard that sitting anywhere for extended periods (more than an hour?) is not healthy for the unborn child as it apparently can restrict blood flow.

Wiring a radiation-resistant coat...and typing

unfortunately, it is a rumor...

As for computer usage, the last I heard, Italy limits working on computers to four hours per day and requires 15 minutes break time after each hour on computers. I don't remember the reason for this (it could involve posture, eye strain, and/or radiation, etc).

As for pregnant women, I've heard that sitting anywhere for extended periods (more than an hour?) is not healthy for the unborn child as it apparently can restrict blood flow.

yes, that is what we have learnt. what concerns me now is cactus and other plants really work ?

i got 1 on my desk, watching it grow bigger everyday. ;)

Also do not foreget that many LCD computer screens have backlighting from cold cathode fluorescent tubes. A small ammount of the UV can escape through the screen, and this can contribute to eye strain after many hours. The old cathode ray tube monitors also had a small ammount of UV, although I am not sure how much. Best to get an computer screen with LED backlights.

Also do not foreget that many LCD computer screens have backlighting from cold cathode fluorescent tubes. A small ammount of the UV can escape through the screen, and this can contribute to eye strain after many hours. The old cathode ray tube monitors also had a small ammount of UV, although I am not sure how much. Best to get an computer screen with LED backlights.

You bet !

" A small ammount of the UV can escape through the screen,"

Any evidence for that?

It would have to go through a couple of layers of polariser, a few sheets of glass and the liquid crystal itself.

Any of those is going to absorb UV quite well.

"The old cathode ray tube monitors also had a small ammount of UV, although I am not sure how much."

Again, any evidence?

The reason I ask is that CRTs had thick lead glass screens to hold off atmospheric pressure and to block xrays.

Most glass absorbs UV fairly well. The thicker you make it the better it absorbs. Adding lead isn't going to improve the transmission of UV.

I'm not saying the UV output is zero. I'm just saying I'd like evidence that it's more than daylight before I worry about it.

I'm just saying I'd like evidence that it's more than daylight before I worry about it.

I doubt it is more than daylight, but staring down onto concrete pavement in the day time for several hours continuously probably would not be good for your eyes either.

The when you spend many hours of time on the computer every day, staring directly into the screen, all that exposure is cumulative.

yes, that is what we have learnt. what concerns me now is cactus and other plants really work ?

i got 1 on my desk, watching it grow bigger everyday. ;)

Does a cactus have some magical ability to divert radiation to itself, or are you placing the cactus between you and the computer screen? If, IF there was any harmful radiation coming out of your monitor, there are many things that could block it more effectively (and less painfully) than a cactus, but you would have to block the screen completely and that really defeats the purpose of a visibly (non-harmfully) radiating screen.

Does a cactus have some magical ability to divert radiation to itself, or are you placing the cactus between you and the computer screen? If, IF there was any harmful radiation coming out of your monitor, there are many things that could block it more effectively (and less painfully) than a cactus, but you would have to block the screen completely and that really defeats the purpose of a visibly (non-harmfully) radiating screen.

good point.

of course i can not put cactus between pc and me while doing my business.

:mellow: ok, i give it up, there is no effective & easy way to lower the radiation as much as possible.

:mellow: ok, i give it up, there is no effective & easy way to lower the radiation as much as possible.

Sure there is. Depending on where you live, make sure your government knows how important it is to you that manufacturers are held to standards that insure they don't irradiate their customers. They probably do this already, but business is always looking make the most profit with the least expenditure. Sometimes they cross this line so it's up to us to make sure regulations are effective in protecting us.

Sure there is. Depending on where you live, make sure your government knows how important it is to you that manufacturers are held to standards that insure they don't irradiate their customers. They probably do this already, but business is always looking make the most profit with the least expenditure. Sometimes they cross this line so it's up to us to make sure regulations are effective in protecting us.

Sad :( , depending on manufacturers, all bets are off.