lost matter or energy in reactions

warped space

ok so i was talking to my chem teacher and he was mentioning something about energy lost when nuclear reactions and particle annihilation reactions happen or maybe not energy but i am just asking how much truth and fiction there is to this and where i can start to do research on such a subject

Energy is never 'lost', it just changes. Taking your nuclear example, the binding energy which keeps the nucleons ( protons and neutrons ) together in an atomic nucleus is exactly equivalent to the mass loss ( the difference between the mass of the individual nucleons added together and that of the combined nucleus ). This mass, multiplied by c^2 is equal to the energy which would be released by dissociating nuclei heavier than iron or released by combining nucleons to form nuclei up to iron.

Particle/antiparticle annihilation is an even better example, as in that case the particles' combined mass as well as any excess momentum ( kinetic energy ) is all converted into energy ( in the form of an energetic photon ).

The universe is actually a very good accountant when it comes to keeping track of energy transactions. If any theory or experiment indicates that mass-energy is not conserved, I would think there is an error in the theory or experiment.

• 3 months later...

Richard Feynman showed that there can be exceptions to the Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy.

For example, in a vacuum electron/positron pairs can spontaneously appear and annihilate each other (due to quantum fluctuations in the vacuum), producing a pair of photons with a total energy equal to the energy of the original lepton pair.

This would seemingly indicate that matter can appear from nothing; however, the above can only hold given that the photons then dissipate in a very short time frame. In fact, the higher the energy of the photons, the shorter the time period they can exist for (i.e they are inversely proportional)

Richard Feynman showed that there can be exceptions to the Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy.

For example, in a vacuum electron/positron pairs can spontaneously appear and annihilate each other (due to quantum fluctuations in the vacuum), producing a pair of photons with a total energy equal to the energy of the original lepton pair.

This would seemingly indicate that matter can appear from nothing; however, the above can only hold given that the photons then dissipate in a very short time frame. In fact, the higher the energy of the photons, the shorter the time period they can exist for (i.e they are inversely proportional)

That's not really a violation, because you can also show that the vacuum is not free of energy; if you model space as a QM oscillator, even when the occupation number is zero each mode has [math]\frac{1}{2}\hbar\omega[/math] of energy

I expected each virtual electron of the pair created from nothing to have a kinetic energy of -511 keV, so the annihilation after the creation by fluctuation releases no energy for photons.

Unless an other source brings energy, typically a photon >1022 keV, and the pair has good reasons to separate, like the intense electric field near a heavy atomic nucleus, and then the new electrons with a positive kinetic energy can last.

And if the photon has just little less than 1022 keV, the virtual pair lives a bit longer before recreating the photon, which can be deflected by a nucleus because the stronger field close to the nucleus eases the temporary creation of a slow pair which recreates the photon with a delay.

Did I get this wrongly?