Can applying oil to the skin be dangerous?

If ingesting high fat oils via food can lead to blocked arteries, etc, then isn't the same true for applying oil to the skin? The oil is absorbed into the skin, and eventually the bloodstream. So what's the difference?

I'm asking because i was thinking of switching from using a moisturiser on my skin, to an oil such as almond oil, as it's a natural product and minus the chemicals in a moisturiser.

If ingesting high fat oils via food can lead to blocked arteries, etc, then isn't the same true for applying oil to the skin? The oil is absorbed into the skin, and eventually the bloodstream. So what's the difference?

I'm asking because i was thinking of switching from using a moisturiser on my skin, to an oil such as almond oil, as it's a natural product and minus the chemicals in a moisturiser.

Fat molecules are too big to get through the barriers to the blood stream. Other chemicals in the oil might.

Just don't do what's happening a lot in Scotland. Don't use cooking oil to help you get a sun tan and end up with skin cancer instead.

So these chemicals in the oil may be dangerous to the body then?

And the fat molecules can pass through during digestion then? But not via skin absorption?

Oh and i don't know about the cooking oil thing, but anyone who does that is crazy. I use factor 50.

Edited by sarfield

And the fat molecules can pass through during digestion then? But not via skin absorption?

The fat molecules are too big and aggregated to pass through skin or membrane. In order to be absorbed by the body via digestion the fat first needs to be emulsified by bile, which breaks it down into smaller units, then a fat-acting enzyme breaks it down into even smaller units called fatty acids...this is what the body uses.

Okay thanks guys.

Bottom line, your almond oil isn't going to get into the bloodstream through your skin. On the other hand, the moisturizer you've been using is probably also a "natural" product, since chemicals do occur naturally. And it has the advantage of being designed to do one thing, moisturize your skin.