Biology degree

davidneff

Are you more interested in flora or fauna? Land or marine? Do you like research or were you thinking about applying biology to a different field (working with yeasts could land you a QC job at a brewery!)? Are you going for the B.S. or do you have plans for an M.S. or Ph.D.?

Are you more interested in flora or fauna? Land or marine? Do you like research or were you thinking about applying biology to a different field (working with yeasts could land you a QC job at a brewery!)? Are you going for the B.S. or do you have plans for an M.S. or Ph.D.?

I would agree with "Phi for All" here, a biological education open up a can of worms in relation to what career paths you can take toward specializing in the field. You would need to do some research on what really interests you for a career path because of the many areas involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about getting a degree in biology (I'm entering my senior year in high school) and I want to know what my possible career choices are with a biology degree.

Thanks,

Dave

Jokes aside, it depends on what you plan on doing with that B.S. in Biology. I don't know why the other members decided to troll real fast. Perhaps they've become clicky as of late. Maybe they expected me to pop-up. I don't know.

If you plan on becoming a researcher, then you'll want an M.S. or Ph.D and then getting paid low ($15k to $30k as a Ph.D student; jack for a M.S. student unless you get a paid research position). From there, you struggle, bite, and fight for a post-doc position, which may eventually lead to more positions, such as teaching or research, which may get you to a tenure position (or not). Learning to be sociable, kind, and make lots of connections helps in moving up the ladder. Don't forget being creative, intelligent, and determined.

Or you could have enough biological knowledge background to move into a health-related field, such as registered nurse, physician's assistant, medical doctor, or whatnot. Albeit, it's becoming more common for people to not have a hard science background when applying to medical school and simply taking pre-med prerequisites while being a liberal artists (some love the liberal arts, while others want a high GPA and ability to do other stuff for increased acceptance competitiveness).

You could also do other things, such as become a zookeeper or work in some outdoors biology-related stuff, perhaps be an environmental worker. Another option is military, such as becoming a NBC officer (I believe it's called for the U.S. Military's Army). They take care of nuclear, biological, and chemical disasters and potential disasters. You could also be a lab-tech, although a B.S. in Biology is not always required to get involved in a lab and be paid (but it helps to have more education).

I suspect these are some of the main things you can do with a B.S. in Biology. It's not spectacular if you stop at a B.S. in Biology unless you are able to get a job targeted at only having a B.S. degree or B.S. Biology degree. Example: Accounting.

Edited by Genecks