Where should I move?

Jordie

Science Fourms,

I am sixteen years old (as of October 7th) and soon will be eighteen in a few years. I think it's time for me to start planning ahead. In case you didn't know I live in the United States in a state called Kansas. Kansas is located in the middle of the 48 States (not including Alaska and Hawaii). There is nothing to do here. It is more of a farming community. The only things to do in my town are

-Visit the county museum.

-Visit the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center.

-Visit the Underground Salt Museum

-Movies

and that is about it. I would like to live in a town that has more things to do in your spare time and has a great school in the town or near the town. I want to move out of state. Maybe even out of the United States. Where do you think I should move to and why?

Here are the places I was thinking about moving.

-New York

-Los Vegas

-Dallas, Texas

-London or Birmingham (UK)

-Los Angeles

-Hollywood

-Chicago

I can't decide. I want to move to a bigger city for the experience and to get away from pesky relatives.... Alot of people from America want to move to the UK and alot of people from the UK want to move to America. I don't know about the UK now when I heard they have no Mt. Dew. :P

Ain't Kansas the synonym for stagnancy :D ? Getting away from relatives is the best reason to move. If you want a real change, then going really far like the UK would probably be an option. US and Europe differ in atmosphere and overall quite a bit in my mind, that would really be a change of scenery. Probably playing it safe and staying somewhat close to your turf might be a good start though. If you want to get some new options what to do, in the US from your list I'd pick NY ... it has its own feel and everything you could possible want (personally, my fav in the US is Boston ... but that's just me).

Do you live in the United Kingdom? It seems so I don't know unqiue and diffrent. I don't know. I may have to scrape up some money to visit it for a week or something. From what I have seen the UK is a nice place to live. I wish I could see a page or talk to someone who has been to the USA and the UK and could compare the two.

Isn't it amazing how I can go and visit the UK for a week and then come back to the USA in a few hours. Just the thought of how far we have advanced. That is another topic...

Do you plan on going to college? Start by applying to colleges in areas that are away from home.

If you are used to very rural life, I think moving to a humongous city might be too much of a change for you. "College towns" have a little more than you're used to but won't overwhelm you.

I am not familiar with your part of the country at all. I live in Southeast Virginia, in the Yorktown, Williamsburg, Jamestown area that is known as "the Historic Triangle". It's close to Newport News, Hampton, and Norfolk. There are rural areas that are within 30 minutes driving time of metropolitan areas. Christopher Newport University is in Newport News, and the College of William and Mary is in Williamsburg.

Many people here are focused on the water - it is all around us. Boating, fishing, sailboat racing, are some things people do here for recreation.

Get into somewhere like New York, Chicago, or Dallas. You'll freeze in the former two. I hear Chicago has a real nice downtown area that's extremely cultured. Some big cities (like mine) you would never want to be downtown after dark. Your best bet is to go to college in a big city somewhere.

I live in a town about 25 miles west of Boston. Boston is a nice city for college students because there are many good schools (MIT, Harvard, etc) and there is so much to do. In the city you can go to concerts, baseball games at Fenway, there are lots of restraunts, clubs, and good shopping. If you want to get away from the city life for a day, you can go to some of Cape Cod's nice beaches which are only a one hour drive away.

Remember that the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence, but it is a different shade of green, and tastes funny.

I would recommend you consider Europe because it would be so different from what you are accustomed to. That would give you a whole different perspective on so many things.

Beyond that there are doubtless pros and cons for each of the places you have listed. Out of your list I have only lived in London and Dallas. Nice as Dallas is, in my book London wins hands down for its diversity, cosmopolitan character, restaurants, museums, night clubs, sense of history, virtually everything.

[if you do think further about the UK let me put in a small plug for Glasgow. Fourth oldest University in the UK, known at one time as the 'Second City of Empire', great architecture, and a populace who are so friendly they will even ask after you health when they are mugging you.]

Do you plan on going to college? Start by applying to colleges in areas that are away from home.

If you are used to very rural life' date=' I think moving to a humongous city might be too much of a change for you. "College towns" have a little more than you're used to but won't overwhelm you.

I am not familiar with your part of the country at all. I live in Southeast Virginia, in the Yorktown, Williamsburg, Jamestown area that is known as "the Historic Triangle". It's close to Newport News, Hampton, and Norfolk. There are rural areas that are within 30 minutes driving time of metropolitan areas. Christopher Newport University is in Newport News, and the College of William and Mary is in Williamsburg.

Many people here are focused on the water - it is all around us. Boating, fishing, sailboat racing, are some things people do here for recreation.[/quote']

My town isn't that rural. It has some pretty unique things for visitors to my town. But if you live here you have done everything 400 times already and it gets a tad bit boring! I appreciate all the input! I more then likley stay here in the United States and move to a bigger city here. I do want to go to college and would like to get a Computer Science & Computer Enginnering Degree.

Moving to the UK is still at the back of my head. There are so many disadvantages and advantages to moving there. :embarass:

Do you live in the United Kingdom? It seems so I don't know unqiue and diffrent. I don't know. I may have to scrape up some money to visit it for a week or something. From what I have seen the UK is a nice place to live. I wish I could see a page or talk to someone who has been to the USA and the UK and could compare the two.

Isn't it amazing how I can go and visit the UK for a week and then come back to the USA in a few hours. Just the thought of how far we have advanced. That is another topic...

Yeah, I'm right here in the old continent. Travelling overall I think is something that ought to be favored as much as possible just because of the perspective it gives. As many above have pointed out the first priority is to find something interesting and then a good place to exercise it ... that's why my favorite place in the US is Boston, for the very same reasons as was given above (+love the town). I think just as long as you find a good place for you to educate yourself with something you really will drawn into ... other things usually have a way of sorting themselves out, especially if you don't think about them all that much.