Religion May Have Evolved Because Of Its Ability To Help People Exercise Self-Control

Moontanman

Religion May Have Evolved Because Of Its Ability To Help People Exercise Self-Control

ScienceDaily (Jan. 1, 2009) — Self-control is critical for success in life, and a new study by University of Miami professor of Psychology Michael McCullough finds that religious people have more self-control than do their less religious counterparts.

081231005355.jpg

Rural church. Religion may have evolved because of its ability to help people exercise self-control. (Credit: iStockphoto/Philip Dyer)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081231005355.htm

Edited by Moontanman

ScienceDaily (Jan. 1, 2009) — Self-control is critical for success in life, and a new study by University of Miami professor of Psychology Michael McCullough finds that religious people have more self-control than do their less religious counterparts.

081231005355.jpg

Rural church. Religion may have evolved because of its ability to help people exercise self-control. (Credit: iStockphoto/Philip Dyer)

There is no god, end of discussion.

There is no god, end of discussion.

While I agree with your premise, I fail to see how it ends the discussion about the effects of religion, which does, demonstrably, exist.

Moontanman, do you have a link to the article or better, the study? I'd be curious to have a look at their methodology - self-control seems to me to be one of those ephemeral things that might be a little hard to quantify.

While I agree with your premise, I fail to see how it ends the discussion about the effects of religion, which does, demonstrably, exist.

Moontanman, do you have a link to the article or better, the study? I'd be curious to have a look at their methodology - self-control seems to me to be one of those ephemeral things that might be a little hard to quantify.

Sorry I forgot it the first time...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081231005355.htm

So perusing the article, I'd have to say, without reading the study, it looks more like an apologists attempt to prove that religion is good than anything else (IMO).

However, I found the original paper on the author's website, so I am with holding judgment until I actually read it.

For anyone that is interested in doing the same:

http://www.psy.miami.edu/faculty/mmccullough/Papers/Relig_self_control_bulletin.pdf

I also found a video link posted by the University of Miami to an interview with the author of the paper, though I haven't had a chance to watch it.

There is no God, end of discussion.

You said that once already. And once again, I ask, what does that have to do with the effects of religious belief?

Unless you are purporting that because God does not exist, it follows that neither does religion?

There is no God, end of discussion.

!

Moderator Note

Athena - you've made your position on God quite clear already. As noted by others, this position has nothing to do with the topic at hand. If you have nothing new to contribute, feel free to refrain from posting. Thank You.

I don't see how anyone can deny the reality of religion, there are many churches within just a few miles of me and they are, if not full, then well attended and rake in lots of money to be used to proselytize their religion in some way. Religion is real no doubt... I'd like to have just the billboard concession...

Well I must say, I feel like going on a bloody rampage right now as my absence of certain beliefs fails to inhibit my ability or will to do so.

I'll get the pitchforks. Who was bringing the torches?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.