The Moral Roots of Liberals and Conservatives

iNow

Psychologist Jonathan Haidt studies the five moral values that form the basis of our political choices, whether we're left, right or center. In this eye-opening talk, he pinpoints the moral values that liberals and conservatives tend to honor most.

Jonathan Haidt studies how -- and why -- we evolved to be moral. By understanding more about our moral roots, his hope is that we can learn to be civil and open-minded. His new book is "The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion."

A nation of yin and yang, not positive and negative repelling charges.

Yes, as noted in the 18 minute video... to which you replied after only 7. ;)

Actually, without the snark, I should note that it's more about the five moral values we tend to see in the three most commonly referenced political leanings, and how we might better understand each other... How we might recognize that we cannot have one without the other and how complimentary we all are.

A very interesting video. I notice that he makes the point early on that I often see, ie that many progressives simply view the conservative as "blinded by religion" or "stupid" and therefore ignore those opinions. ;)

I did find it very interesting that he takes the idea that progressives are less about "authority" and I'm not sure I agree. Traditional forms of authority perhaps, but progressives tend to substitute new authorities for the old ones. He makes the example of religion and food which is fair enough. You don't have to bow to the authority of the church becomes bowing to the authority of the "Health" industry. (or whatever)

I think that there is also a bit of a dicotomy in that progressives (leftists) are more likely to prefer a collectivist approach or answer and are more willing to give the collective authority than a conservative is. So the difference isn't about attitude to authority per se, but more about the types of authority accepted by the two sides. Conservatives obviously would prefer traditional types of authority whereas progressives prefer any type of authority except traditional ones.