Physical effects of Time Travel

PhysicsBurger

Okay so I have this theory (LOL) ...

Actually its a fact.

All of us are in a different "time" than when we were born. Movement and height changes throughout our life push us forward in time.

I just flew around the world, eastward. And I just read in an article that doing this trips you up by about 0.0347 nanoseconds. So technically I have traveled forward in time in relation to the rest of you.

So here's my question.

It was stated in the same article that if the difference in time could be extended to 2 or 3 minutes, we would "Meet ourself".

Maybe that statement is wrong, but at some point you differentiate from yourself. Physically, you would have to become two bodies.

And I guess that's my first question. Why?

More importantly is my second question ...

You can't say that this "separation" from ones-self only happens at a certain stage. If its true for 2-3 minutes then its true for nanoseconds.

That means there SHOULD BE an undetectable change happening in all of us, the longer we live, that we are literally splitting off from ourselves.

And this isnt science fiction mumbo jumbo. This would have to be a fact. Physical duplication in microscopic levels.

Pile that up across 37 years of movement, arline flights, and living for years in a skyrise above the rest of the population, and you've got a person who *SHOULD* be detaching from himself .... PHYSICALLY!

So why isn't that happening? Wouldn't that kill me? Make me sick? At the very least psychologically something should be happening.

Something has to be wrong with this theory of time travel. If the theory were true, all of us would be slightly - PHYSICALLY - warped looking.

And a final thought.

Maybe this is what Deja Vu is .....................................................

I mean why not. If one is experiencing some sort of detachment where he perceives time in two different levels, just moments apart, wouldn't it stand to reason that you'd sometimes experience something immediately before it happens?

Comments?

Edited by PhysicsBurger

That was md65536 being NICE... just FYI.

Taking a flight doesn't 'move you forward through time.' In fact, you experience a slight bit more time dilation (a slowing of your subatomic processes, comparable to aging more slowly). No different movement through the 'fourth dimension' is experienced, you just don't get to get as much done because the light in your atoms has to go a little bit farther to cover the distance they moved. You never differentiate, your body remains a funny mish-mosh of various molecular states without ever dividing. You either misunderstood the article, or it was bogus...

I'm not an expert by a long shot, but I do know better than to get cocky on this forum. Try using a direct quote, citing the source, so the experts here can explain or tell you that you're reading fiction.

You read about it in a peer-reviewed journal?

And you're experiencing the effects you described?

And what you wrote makes sense to you?

Sounds right to me.

You just qualified as a "Troll".

That was a useless response. Anyone with a brain want to weigh in?

!

Moderator Note

That's not a helpful response, and an even less appropriate reply to it. Knock it off.

It was stated in the same article that if the difference in time could be extended to 2 or 3 minutes, we would "Meet ourself".

No. The article is wrong.

I thought that my questions were helpful. If you actually answer them and think about your answers you'll get started with some critical thinking that will help you figure out for yourself whether or not "it's a fact" that we are all detaching from ourselves.

Here's another question: What does it say about your original post if a simple statement of agreement is treated as hostile and ridiculous? Why wouldn't you expect that what you posted not as "science fiction mumbo jumbo" but as fact, would sound right to someone?

If I'm a troll then don't respond. It won't hurt you though if you try to think of answers to the questions.

Okay ...

I came here because I know nothing, and wanted input from people who do. Not so some guy can tell me im dumb. I dont claim to know anything, and nobody got cocky. I will have a thousand more questions, and I am interested in hearing *why* they're wrong, or right, or not possible. A lot of my posts may contain common misconceptions. If that annoys you or makes you lash out with snarky comments, then ... maybe you could ignore me instead.

===================

Getting back on topic. Please don't focus on the fact that I said "article". It wasn't a published journal article. If you went back in time, you would "see yourself". But I see why the concept of physically dividing sounded absurd. That's why I am here. Im not an unintelligent person. Just have zero training on the specifics of these topics. So basically going back in time and "standing 5 feet away from yourself" would happen how? Or is it assumed this isn't possible because going back in time is considered impossible?

I understand the helpful comment above regarding a personal slowing of aging. That makes total sense. I guess im confused where the duplication occurs, so that you are outside of yourself, looking at yourself.

Secondly, above someone stated that flying around the world does not slow down time. I pulled that comment from the atomic clock that was flown around the world and they found it having changed. Again probably a misunderstanding on my part, but I'd like to learn.

Lastly, I have about five hundred thousand questions like these, and I would enjoy tossing them out there. If this isn't the best web site to do that, then I can use others.

-PB-

Edited by PhysicsBurger

It is total hollywood BS to think that time can be traveled through in such a way that you'd meet yourself, if at all.

The atomic clock situation is this:

At point A, 2 atomic clocks (T1 & T2) are synchronized.

T1 is put on a flight around the world, returning to point A.

T1 and T2 times are compared, but it is found that T1 has fallen behind very slightly.

The results matched the prediction made using SR or some relativity component, which predicts how much movement and gravity affect time dilation. While it could be said that T1 is currently ahead of our timeline, because it should match T2, and from the perspective of T1, this is true, from an objective observer's perspective, it is only said that less time has passed for T1.

There are tons of threads on here that at least touch on time travel, so I'd suggest at least skimming those, although you may find that arguments supporting the possibility are quickly dismissed.

Okay so then the *CORRECT* term is not "Time Travel".

The correct idea is simply a personal, slowing of aging in relation to your environment.

But I want to take that even further. Exactly what is happening to you when this happens? Someone above said "light takes longer to travel within you". Therefore aging slows - i assume just because everything within you has slowed.

Wish I could get my head around that concept.

But why would light be the thing that's slowing. Everything - physical - would be slowing wouldnt it? Your circulation, your whole "system" (body) processes slow.

I love this stuff. Its just mind boggling to me.

So light takes longer to travel around within you because of your speed of movement.

But the net result is that you age more slowly.

Its a closed system.

Alright. Whats this babble I hear about you having to move "eastward" ? Is this just because the earth rotates westward so you automatically get a higher speed going in relation to things around you?

It is total hollywood BS to think that time can be traveled through in such a way that you'd meet yourself, if at all.

Thats disappointing. Do some people believe its possible? I have never heard that its total BS before ...

Not exactly accurate. While a plane trip does slow down subjective time for the traveller because of relativistic time dilation, there is some compensation since planes usually travel at 36000 ft. In effect, we left behind on the ground, experience gravitational time dilation compared to the traveller since we are deeper in the earth's gravity well.

As for time travel, I have to admit that I cannot disprove it, yet my 'gut' tells me that its impossible. Causality may be violated in certain quantum processes just as process flow is valid foreward or backwards and even entropy is not constrained to stay equal or increase. But for statistically larger systems, entropy always stays the same or increases, processes only make sense in the foreward direction and causality cannot be violated

• 3 months later...

Though I do not know the actual link for the site, scientists recently were able to transport a particle hundreds of miles, therefore creating teleportation. While this is not the same as time travel, the ability to move any sized amount of matter through space would indicate that time travel would not be impossible. If a particle could be transported over great distances, it may also be able to be transported between timelines, in theory allowing time travel to be possible.

Also, it is not impossible to meet yourself by time travel. (the bold is not meant to be insulting)

Edited by Dr. Jameson

Though I do not know the actual link for the site, scientists recently were able to transport a particle hundreds of miles,

If you're talking about quantum entanglement and action at a distance, nothing was transported through space, neither mass nor energy. If you're talking about anything else you'll have to supply the reference.

There has been no matter teleported through space, and so no indication that time travel is not impossible.

Though I do not know the actual link for the site, scientists recently were able to transport a particle hundreds of miles, therefore creating teleportation. While this is not the same as time travel, the ability to move any sized amount of matter through space would indicate that time travel would not be impossible. If a particle could be transported over great distances, it may also be able to be transported between timelines, in theory allowing time travel to be possible.

Also, it is not impossible to meet yourself by time travel. (the bold is not meant to be insulting)

Time does not work like this. While it is technically possible to move forward in time faster than usual there is no way to go back - the past is not a place you can travel to.

When you think about it travel backward in time makes no sense at all.

The teleportation was of the information of a particle's state. No matter was moved.