Jimmy Carter calls For Moderates in the Democratic Party

differentDemocrat

Former President Jimmy Carter was recently quoted as saying that the Democratic Party has been hurt at the polls for its vehement pro-choice views on abortion.

The issue hurts the Party with liberal Catholics and Latino voters who otherwise may vote Democratic. President Carter also, concluded that he "Could never believe that Jesus Christ would support abortion."

The Democratic Platform currently contains language to allow taxpayer funding of abortion. National polls have consistently demonstrated that most Americans do not support the government paying for abortion. In fact, a February 2012 Quinnipiac University poll (national sample of 2,605 registered voters, margin of error

±1.9 percentage points) found that nearly thirty percent of Americans would not vote for a candidate with whom they disagreed on abortion but agreed on other issues. The Democratic Platform language should be inclusive and endorse the views of all Democrats.

This will resurrect the Blue Dog Democrat in the South and Southwest enabling us to have a solid majority in the Congress. Remember, it was the Democratic Party that gave us Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and a living wage...

Please support the Democrats For Life of America by signing the petition below

link removed

Article on Abortion and Jimmy Carter's new beliefs.

[/size][/font]

Edited by swansont

!

Moderator Note

This is a discussion forum. Asking for people to sign a petition is not discussion and arguably falls under advertising and/or spam*, which is not allowed.

*Driving traffic to an outside site for reasons other than support of some point you are making.

Anything from Fox News is bound to be dishonest...

Isn't that pretty much true for the mainstream media in general?

Funny thing about that video clip is that it doesn't contain any video, just a picture of Laura Ingraham all the way through. There's no way to know if the voices are really the voices of the people portrayed. Isn't this a live news show that could have shown Laura asking the questions and Jimmy answering them.....on camera?

Abortion has to be an option in a modern society that respects the rights of a person to make their own decisions about their own bodies. Life can't legally start at conception. I would never counsel abortion for any of the women in my family but I think it should be every woman's right to choose. Abortion MUST be allowed until a certain stage in every pregnancy and I think it should be an option in a national healthcare system.

I see this as an attempt by religious conservatives to distance themselves from the crazy gushing out of the GOP lately. The religious right didn't always side with Republicans.

Quite frankly, I'm appalled that this issue is even being raised again in this time of economic crisis. It can only be a distraction that will divert much needed resources and political capital from the fight to reduce corporate power in this country and bring much needed regulation back to the financial and business sectors. Then again, maybe that"s the real goal here, distraction.

This post has nothing to do with Jimmy Carter. Your attempt to get signatures is dishonest.

Anything from Fox News is bound to be dishonest...

Isn't that pretty much true for the mainstream media in general?

Funny thing about that video clip is that it doesn't contain any video, just a picture of Laura Ingraham all the way through. There's no way to know if the voices are really the voices of the people portrayed. Isn't this a live news show that could have shown Laura asking the questions and Jimmy answering them.....on camera?

I am completely pro-choice and abhor this move to threaten Wade v Roe ruling and the ongoing pressure from the religious right to remove women's rights of self-determination in reproduction. I have posted on that issue many times here. I hate the idea of collecting signature through a post here.

However - I am a little curious about the responses the OP got (I cannot see the unedited version so apologies if that is root of my confusion.)

doG - are you claiming that the recording is not actually true? That Jimmy Carter did not say those things? The reason there was no video is that it is a radio show as far as I can tell - and no reason to believe it is faked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter#Abortion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter#Abortion_2

Whilst we should fight repressive and retrogressive legislation and party movement at every turn - is the cause of women's rights really helped by misrepresentation of the opposing case?

Again - apologies in advance if I am confused due to edits or other reasons; but I would be interested in knowing why you (and Moontanman in turn) questioned the veracity of the claim that this was Jimmy Carter's view

doG - are you claiming that the recording is not actually true? That Jimmy Carter did not say those things? The reason there was no video is that it is a radio show as far as I can tell - and no reason to believe it is faked http://en.wikipedia....Carter#Abortion http://en.wikipedia....rter#Abortion_2

The link in the OP was added after doG's post. At the time of that post, there was nothing in the OP that justified the title of the thread.

doG - are you claiming that the recording is not actually true? That Jimmy Carter did not say those things? The reason there was no video is that it is a radio show as far as I can tell - and no reason to believe it is faked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter#Abortion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter#Abortion_2

No, I didn't say that. I pointed out that it was odd they posted it as a video without any video. Fox has a radio show?

The idea that "it would be good" to strategically sacrifice a basic human right for an entire gender simply to stack seats in Congress with (D)s instead of ®s goes to the heart of why we cannot move forward legislatively in this country.

Even the idea of strategically stacking a 50% majority (or a super majority, if that's the new minimum) as a prerequisite to progress is ridiculous - the Congress and the Senate need to be places of debate, discussion and refinement of our policies. If the only discussion is which of the two parties can get full control to push their party's legislation through without discussion, then we're already so far off point that little good can come from it.

We're not a one party system sort of government, but we are getting close to becoming a "one party for 2-8 years at a time" system of government and frankly, I honestly prefer the current "no party system" where nothing gets done to that.