Is our biosphere God?

Moontanman

Now that I think about it, it is probably possible to have a very large system act as one large organism, but it seems likely the surface area it would have to cover could only be something like a very small moon, as after a certain point reaction time delay will become too great for cohesive processes.

That would depend on the speed of such processes, the concept of Gaea doesn't need instant response, in fact most of the responses would take place over a very long periods of time.

There's also the issue of why we haven't discovered this virus and why we don't have an immune response to it or why we wouldn't have developed a resistance to it.

Recent research has shown that virus's might be the most numerous creatures on the planet in both mass and numbers, in fact the number of virus particles is so huge that it might very well be impossible to know what all of them do. I have no doubt that if the Gaea hypothesis has any reality to it at all the ways the super organism influences the earth would be huge and the virus wouldn't be something our immune system would see as an invader since it is part of us.

There is also little evidence to support the notion that humans can consciously respond to magnetic fields waves.

I'm not sure how this applies to this idea.

Is our biosphere all powerful? No definition of divinity has it that divinity can be less than all-powerful... So, nope, our biosphere is not divine and bets are that nothing is divine...

Hmmm, no definition of divinity has it that divinity can be less than all powerful? A great many gods have been believed in that were not all powerful, in fact I would venture to say that most gods of antiquity were less than all powerful. Thor, Loki, Venus, the list is quite long and none of them are all powerful.

Recent research has shown that virus's might be the most numerous creatures on the planet in both mass and numbers, in fact the number of virus particles is so huge that it might very well be impossible to know what all of them do. I have no doubt that if the Gaea hypothesis has any reality to it at all the ways the super organism influences the earth would be huge and the virus wouldn't be something our immune system would see as an invader since it is part of us.

How does having a virus in your system logically allow mind control?

I'm not sure how this applies to this idea.

In case you tried to use that to explain communication and interaction.

Edited by questionposter

Mind control has not been implied here as far as i know.

I see, preemptive thinking, lol

My original position saw telepathy as the only viable way for this to work, but having thought this through I see the idea has more legs. Most of what influences our daily decisions is unknown to us at the conscious level. The way our culture is all pervading in the way we think and interact with the world. The way our food and, everyday drugs, changes the chemical balance of our body and how that changes our decision making. Plants change their chemical composition when attacked and communicates this to the local, similar, plants. Who’s to say this isn’t also a global communication, and if so how this might influence us.

The idea of god is slippery to say the least but could our entire biosphere be likened to a colonial organism that is self aware in the way that ants and or termites colonies are aware?

Would such a super organism qualify as being a god?

The Earths biosphere could be alive and even aware in it's own way and trying to control the environment much like our bodies mechanisms control the conditions inside our bodies.

Quite possibly we are the brain of the organism but we are unaware of the over mind which only seeks to live and doesn't care who dies or suffers individually. It could communicate and control it's various parts through viruses and or feed back loops it controls but has no more conscious thoughts than our liver does...

Or maybe we are a cancer that developed in this organism and we are detrimental to it's existence..

How is the "influence" actually carried out by a virus?

How is this giant organism telling the viruses how to influence us considering viruses aren't even living things?

Edited by questionposter

Hmmm, no definition of divinity has it that divinity can be less than all powerful? A great many gods have been believed in that were not all powerful, in fact I would venture to say that most gods of antiquity were less than all powerful. Thor, Loki, Venus, the list is quite long and none of them are all powerful.

It depends who you ask... To some believers Thor, Loki, Odin, etc. where somewhat all-powerful or better said "infinitely powerful" yet not trully all-powerful... (the difference is that "all" allows no exception and "infinitely" does... I mean the multiples of 9 are an infinite series but their quantity is smaller than the infinite of 5). This is more clear with the grecolatin deities (Aphrodite/Venus, Zeus/Jupiter, etc.) as interpreted by Plato... But if you define "divine" as merely "more powerful" then... Why cant humanity be itself considered divine then? How much powerful is powerful enough to be divine?

How is the "influence" actually carried out by a virus?

How is this giant organism telling the viruses how to influence us considering viruses aren't even living things?

Well that would be the $64,000 question...

Sulfur Finding May Hold Key to Gaia Theory of Earth as Living Organism

120515203100.jpg

Is Earth really a sort of giant living organism as the Gaia hypothesis predicts? (Credit: NOAA)

ScienceDaily (May 15, 2012) — Is Earth really a sort of giant living organism as the Gaia hypothesis predicts? A new discovery made at the University of Maryland may provide a key to answering this question. This key of sulfur could allow scientists to unlock heretofore hidden interactions between ocean organisms, atmosphere, and land -- interactions that might provide evidence supporting this famous theory.

lovelock.portrait.gif

The idea of Gaia should be attributed to this man, James Lovelock.

There can be different interpretations of the Gaia hypothesis while James Lovelock and others argue that it is just an emergent property of the system which is inevitable and say that there is no need to invoke any teleology or design into it, the other interpretation would be that to say that non-living elements are somehow aware and regulate the atmospheric temperatures and gases on earth invokes panpsychism and panexperientialism which in turn lead to the existence of anthropomorphic gods. So any evidence for Gaia could be evidence for Intelligent design as well.

It would drastically change the way we think about this world.

Edited by immortal

lovelock.portrait.gif

The idea of Gaia should be attributed to this man, James Lovelock.

There can be different interpretations of the Gaia hypothesis while James Lovelock and others argue that it is just an emergent property of the system which is inevitable and say that there is no need to invoke any teleology or design into it,

Very true, and I think I'm going to regret suggesting that this was The GOD...

the other interpretation would be that to say that non-living elements are somehow aware and regulate the atmospheric temperatures and gases on earth invokes panpsychism and panexperientialism which in turn lead to the existence of anthropomorphic gods. So any evidence for Gaia could be evidence for Intelligent design as well.

It would drastically change the way we think about this world.

I knew I'd regret it... If you can support this feel free to do so, I'd be interested in seeing some support for the idea of Gaea being The GOD...

I knew I'd regret it... If you can support this feel free to do so, I'd be interested in seeing some support for the idea of Gaea being The GOD...

Yes, thank you.

I am being mentally retarded for viewing the world that way. Have you ever worshiped the fire coming out of the gas stove in your kitchen? The ancients used to do that, have you ever worshiped the water coming out of your tap? They did that. Some might suggest that the ancients didn't knew how things worked and hence they worshiped the things in nature as gods, I think there is more to it to this idea of viewing the things around us as anthropomorphic gods, some scholars are convinced that we are not alone and that they exist and support such a view of the world. This way of thinking is so much different from the current science, I still cannot grasp how the air we feel can be an anthropomorphic god with human qualities and emotions. I don't know where to begin with, I think studying such ancient cultures would be the right place to start with.

The idea can be fairly described by pansychism which suggest that even rocks, water etc have a mind and has feelings and expierence the world, this clearly redefines our notion of life and what constitutes to be called as alive.

Only when we view the world in this way, the mainstream religions makes some sense.

Yes, thank you.

I am being mentally retarded for viewing the world that way. Have you ever worshiped the fire coming out of the gas stove in your kitchen? The ancients used to do that, have you ever worshiped the water coming out of your tap? They did that. Some might suggest that the ancients didn't knew how things worked and hence they worshiped the things in nature as gods, I think there is more to it to this idea of viewing the things around us as anthropomorphic gods, some scholars are convinced that we are not alone and that they exist and support such a view of the world. This way of thinking is so much different from the current science, I still cannot grasp how the air we feel can be an anthropomorphic god with human qualities and emotions. I don't know where to begin with, I think studying such ancient cultures would be the right place to start with.

The idea can be fairly described by pansychism which suggest that even rocks, water etc have a mind and has feelings and expierence the world, this clearly redefines our notion of life and what constitutes to be called as alive.

Only when we view the world in this way, the mainstream religions makes some sense.

The ancients were just being clever, at least the elders were, they were just establishing well known everyday phenomena with a spiritual aspect and thus creating a God like figure to fear. Therefore creating a mental police force, that has no physical reality, but has a very real presence in the mind of the average citizen.