Thermite

boris_73

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DON`T!, it`s a grade A way to win a Darwin award! :((

here`s a question for you all, how come I was trained spelling it as "Thermit" and you lot spell it as "thermitE" with an E at the end?

what`s the diff (other than the obvious) and Why?

DON`T!' date=' it`s a grade A way to win a Darwin award! :((

here`s a question for you all, how come I was trained spelling it as "Thermit" and you lot spell it as "thermitE" with an E at the end?

what`s the diff (other than the obvious) and Why?[/quote']

i know the lead oxide thermites are dangerous but i was thinking only a few grams eg 3-5g and a full sparkler which would give me about 1 minute to get away i just want to do it for the experience in all the different thermites i have already tried the copper oxide and iron oxide one thats why i wanted to try the lead oxide one

3 to 5 grams of the correct mix, you`de need a good distance!

it`s powerfull, but also more importantly LOUD!

one could easily think it actualy Detonates, it doesn`t, but it`s about as powerfull as it gets for a redox reaction in solid form :)

(and no before anyone jumps on the badwaggon to try correct me, there IS more powerfull redox in solids, but it`s a Thermit discussion!)

I thought they use a more stable and safe mix these days than the red lead - alu composition in dragon eggs?

they do, and I`ve pointed this out before AND stated what is used instead, but no one seems to want to listen! :((

the chemicals which they do use in the safer mix are also a little harder to get hold off and more expensive then the red lead and aluminium, other wise if i knew where to get them they would be the chemicals which i would use for the dragon eggs

hold on i have just had a look and what i thought were the new safer chemicals were in fact not them anyway i can get hold of red lead aluminium ect now i just need to find what the new safer ones are where did you post saying what the chemicals were YT

fair enough try this post I made not so long back:

I don`t recommend using red lead as it`s impact sensitive' date=' the beta-modification will make a reasonable thermite though, red lead Dragon eggs aren`t used anymore nowdays in Pyro, it`s been replaced by Bismuth Trioxide instead.

dissolve your lead in nitric acid making lead nitrate, then add sodium hydroxide, to make lead hydroxide and sodium nitrate, filter out the lead hydroxide and dry it, with heating the hydroxide will turn into Yellow lead :)

Lead Compounds are Toxic!!!!![/quote']