Thermite

boris_73

i have found a chemical which skylighter will ship to england and that chemical is the one which i want Bismuth Trioxide it cost about $21 for 1 pound so about £11 but its the only place that i have found which will sell it

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The purpose of the sulphur is to hold the mixture together so the rust doesn't separate from the aluminium. You heat gently it so the sulphur melts and holds its all together.

Thats what i remember reading, but i can't find it, hmm maybe i dreamt it up

it would make a thermite, that is for sure. i believe it is Cr2O3

chromium has several oxides: CrO2, CrO3, Cr2O3 and, Cr3O4, namely

best reactions for isolation of chromium would be

Cr2O3 + 2Al --> 2Cr + Al2O3

2Cr2O3 + 3Si --> 4Cr + 3SiO2

speaking of chromium...

http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/media/moov/volcano.mov

the above video is bloody amazing. change the tag to .mpg if you dont have quicktime

The purpose of the sulphur is to hold the mixture together so the rust doesn't separate from the aluminium. You heat gently it so the sulphur melts and holds its all together.

Thats what i remember reading' date=' but i can't find it, hmm maybe i dreamt it up[/quote']

the purpose of Sulpher in many Pyro compounds is to only lower the Activation energy (Heat).

i should add that chromium and its salts are carcinogens

There should be a 'suspected' carcinogen. It hasn't been conclusively proven. In fact, the human body requires a moderate amount of the chromium ion in order to help metabolise sugars. So I wouldn't go eating it by the barrel full, but there is absolutely no need to get yourself into a hazmat suit just to work with some Cr ions.

I once tried a 65/35 mixture(by weight of ferric oxide and aluminium before.I used labortary grade chemicals.Owing to a lack of a digital scale,Iused a triple beam 1 instead.I filled it in a flimsy, wide cardboard case( i don't want an explosion),stuck a sparkler inside with some Mg shavings for good measure,then placed it in a sandbox.The mixture ignited with a brilliant flame(i had to turn my eyes away even though i was wearing sunglasses).Sparks flew out.A residue of iron and aluminium oxide,together with some molten silica and ashes was left in the sandbox(surrounded by sand).Btw.I mixed the powder by putting it inside a bottle and shaking it for 15 minutes.

the purpose of Sulpher in many Pyro compounds is to only lower the Activation energy (Heat).

Not nesscary that only.The oxidation of sulphur also acts as an energy source,thereby reducing the external heat needed to activate thermite compound indirectly.(the activation energy remains the same)