Flying Like an Albatross

Daedalus

First of all, a mainstream Dutch newspaper claims it's real.

Second of all, some other website already claims it's fake (note that the newspaper linked to the claim that it is fake).

These are Dutch guys (funny language, isn't it?), and the newspaper gave some more background on the invention:

A free translation of what I read:

- It's not human powered. The creators publicly agree that a human's arms are not strong enough.

- It is powered by modern lightweight actuators (linear electric motors).

- The flapping of the arms is because the actuators are controlled by two Nintendo Wii controllers.

- An HTC phone is used as a gyroscope, and it is hacked so it can receive the info from the Wii controllers. But with only two wings, no flaps on the wings, and no tail, I have no idea what it would control.

Personally, I am not yet completely won over. I have three issues:

Control

Without any tail, or flaps on the wings, or a method to change the pitch of the entire wing, there is no control.

Speed vs. wing size

The speed in the video seems much too low for such small wings (the aerial shot, looking at the ground suggests the speed is about 5 m/s).

Human powered aircraft have flown at such low speeds as well, but they had much larger wings.

Crappy video

The video is crappy, shaky, and someone is blocking the view at the exact moment of landing. FFS, buy a tripod, and keep everyone out of the way. Also, invite the media. Until then, I call it fake.

Control

Without any tail, or flaps on the wings, or a method to change the pitch of the entire wing, there is no control.

I noticed the same thing, but it does seem as though he didn't need much control for this flight. He climbed when he flapped, he made no turns, and when he stopped flapping he lost altitude.

I would like to have seen the footage from the ground camera shooting the entire flight, without all the editing between that and the helmet camera.

I noticed the same thing, but it does seem as though he didn't need much control for this flight. He climbed when he flapped, he made no turns, and when he stopped flapping he lost altitude.

True. It looks like he's going in a simple straight line... except for the aerial camera shot, where there is a pond to the right, trees straight ahead and just lots of objects to avoid in general. For such a flight, you want to have some sort of control.

Do you think controlled flight can be achieved with just a few actuators, Wii controllers, a gyroscope, a human brain, and some flappy wings?

Even the Wright brothers decided to have a rudder, and some flaps of some sort (surfaces that can move to adjust flight). And they had a much simpler structure (no flapping), and also a very short flight.

Do you think controlled flight can be achieved with just a few actuators, Wii controllers, a gyroscope, a human brain, and some flappy wings?

He should be able to bank right or left by flapping just the opposite arm, shouldn't he? The extra lift on that side would create a turn, but I'm with you, I would want much more control even if I didn't gain much altitude. Actually, I'd want more responsive control at that height because I wouldn't have much time before hitting the ground.

The first thing I notice is that he lifts himself into the air without using anything but his arms. The second thing I notice is the steepness with which he climbs. If he actually did fly through the air for a short time I wonder if he was winched up in the same manner as gliders are launched. I have looked hard but cannot see a cable - but that could be edited out. Some time ago a man powered aircraft called Gossamer Albatross successfully flew but took much leg power to get off the ground and climb very gradually.

Well, this one is solved. It's fake.

Flying Dutchman blijkt Lying Dutchman: filmpje inderdaad hoax

That's a Dutch newspaper headline, but I think there are enough English words for most of you to understand what it means.

The creators of the youtube movie admitted that it was a joke, meant to inspire people. They said so themselves on Dutch TV, in a particularly popular show at prime time.