Can a hollowed out tree be made into a treehouse?

I was designing a fantasy treehouse last night, but today when I showed it to my mom she said it would kill the tree.

post-63006-0-92365200-1332017514_thumb.jpg

I didn't intend for it to look like the tree is dead. My basic idea was for the tree to be hollowed out in the trunk, a multipurpose room in the trunk, ladders to the higher part of the tree, and beneath the leaves a bedroom.

What could someone do to make a treehouse INSIDE the tree, without stopping the tree from ever growing again?

I was designing a fantasy treehouse last night, but today when I showed it to my mom she said it would kill the tree.

post-63006-0-92365200-1332017514_thumb.jpg

I didn't intend for it to look like the tree is dead. My basic idea was for the tree to be hollowed out in the trunk, a multipurpose room in the trunk, ladders to the higher part of the tree, and beneath the leaves a bedroom.

What could someone do to make a treehouse INSIDE the tree, without stopping the tree from ever growing again?

It would have to be a pretty damn big tree but no it would not kill the tree to hollow it out, it might make it weaker and result in the tree being blown down...

Then what if the tree was reinforced on the inside with something stronger, like sheet metal?

Sure, that might work.

And to Moon's comment, the center of a large tree (the heartwood) is not living. You'll often find living trees with rotted out cores. If you want to kill a standing tree you girdle it. That is, cut through the thin layer of cells just beneath the bark, all the way around a tree.