Something to look at

morgsboi

But how would they have them if it is where they are cut from the umbilical cord?

I don't know why you are singling out the belly button. How would they have any body part at all? If you didn't come from parents then all of your body parts were 'created' for you. Surely if you can build a brain you can build a belly button.

Not sure that a 15/16th Century painter really had the knowledge (especially as Durer had no children of his own) to understand what the navel was - even an artist as interested in human anatomy and form as Durer was. You can see that his famous engraving of a Rhinoceros has the animal covered in plates - rather than heavy skin; any child could look this up today - but Durer had never seen a rhino only heard descriptions. It could be dangerous and difficult to seek knowledge of human anatomy and the mysteries of birth and perhaps, even if Durer understood the paradox it might have been safer for him to play ignorant. Frankly, I can forgive slight logical paradoxes from a man who can paint like this

430px-Durer_selfporitrait.jpg

Edited by imatfaal

Oddly the people are drawn as white skinned, whereas the (albeit rather limited) genetic evidence says the first people were dark skinned.

The navels were probably just an oversight, but the skin colour verges on propaganda.

I tend to agree with Imatfaal's point about the beauty of the second painting.

(in case anyone's wondering, I'm as white as they are, but I don't think it's because I was made in any God's image)