God doesn't exist, but the religion has benefit.

Valery Staricov

I ask those that are posting 'attacks in the name of religion', what is your motivation for posting these kinds of things? Let's assume your argument is correct and that someone of that religion is reading this forum. They interpret these postings as the truth and thereby decide to act upon what is declared as a religious must. Is non-religion defined as the prompting and provoking of others to prove a point? Posting without integrity proves little for the point of either the religious or non-religious but just calls humanity as a whole into disrepute.

"I ask those that are posting 'attacks in the name of religion', what is your motivation for posting these kinds of things?

People come to this site and make statements and/ or ask questions.

I sometimes comment on those statements or answer the questions because I want to inform the people who post, at least as far as I can.

So if someone posts the assertion very doubtful assertion that "God doesn't exist, but the religion has benefit" I'm inclined to respond and point out that , at best, the assertion is one-sided.

Religion has a very clear downside to it- (unless you think killing people is a good idea).

If someone had started a thread saying "Photons are attracted to the North pole of a magnet". I would have pointed out that the evidence shows that they are wrong.

Do you think I should treat assertions about religion differently?

If so, why?

What is special about ancient myths and creeds?

I ask those that are posting 'attacks in the name of religion', what is your motivation for posting these kinds of things? Let's assume your argument is correct and that someone of that religion is reading this forum. They interpret these postings as the truth and thereby decide to act upon what is declared as a religious must. Is non-religion defined as the prompting and provoking of others to prove a point? Posting without integrity proves little for the point of either the religious or non-religious but just calls humanity as a whole into disrepute.

Seriously you think I’m advocating such atrocities? Anyone who takes my post as a call to arms is sociopathic and needs psychiatric help, religious or not...

Incidentally, if they decide to follow Exodus after seeing it reproduced here, is that somehow my fault?

Surely the blame lies with those who have failed to expunge that dangerous nonsense from their Bible.

Saying it is in any way my responsibility would be like blaming the Gideons.

Edited by John Cuthber