Differential pressure equivalent, please?

Externet

An osmotic membrane takes 1000 psigauge on the inlet side, and atmospheric pressure at its outlet side to perform its work.

If the same osmotic membrane is left at atmospheric pressure at the inlet side; how many inches of mercury should be applied at the outlet to perform equally ?

If 30 inches of mercury is approximately 1 atmosphere then how many atmospheres is 1000 PSIG? You will need the same ratio to do the same work. BTW, why don't you convert your reference to PSIG to PSIA since as John suggested, you will be hunting for another planet to get this to work.

Obviously my question had a very wrong wording. Or concept. Thanks for your patience.

Trying again...

Can only suction from a vacuum pump at the discharge side of an osmotic membrane and nothing at the inlet, achieve the same osmotic effect instead of the 'normal' case of applying pressure at the inlet and nothing at the outlet ?

Reverse osmosis "normal process" : 1000psig ----->inlet---->membrane----->outlet----->atmospheric discharge

If I only have a vacuum pump and no compressor, can the same reverse osmotic process be achieved ?

Atmospheric------>inlet----->membrane------>outlet------>?inchesHg vacuum pump

What amount of vacuum capability should the vacuum pump be ?

Edited by Externet

Can only suction from a vacuum pump at the discharge side of an osmotic membrane and nothing at the inlet, achieve the same osmotic effect instead of the 'normal' case of applying pressure at the inlet and nothing at the outlet ?

I would say yes, as long as you increase the surface area of the membrane proportionately to the decrease you will suffer from operating at a lower pressure differential.

I would say yes, as long as you increase the surface area of the membrane proportionately to the decrease you will suffer from operating at a lower pressure differential.

And I would say no because most of the pressure is not to drive the liquid through in spite of viscous forces where increasing the area would help.

Most of the pressure is there to overcome osmotic pressure which is defined by the concentration of solutes in the incoming water.

Also if you put water in a vacuum, it boils, is carried into your pump and screws it up.

So, once more, which part of "no" is giving you trouble?

Most of the pressure is there to overcome osmotic pressure which is defined by the concentration of solutes in the incoming water.

Also if you put water in a vacuum, it boils, is carried into your pump and screws it up.

Most but not all. With enough surface area you could get by on atmospheric pressure. The surface water exposed to the vacuum doesn't have to be the water feeding the pump. Even if it were the cavitation created on the pressure side would only be destructive at high pressure.