$50 million prize to follow on from X-prize

Ophiolite

Two orbits, with five people, at an altitude above 400kms, to be repeated within sixty days. The first flight can simply demonstrate the ability to take five people i.e. pilot, plus ballast. The second flight must carry at least five.

http://www.space.com/spacenews/businessmonday_bigelow_041108.html

It must be completed by Jan 10, 2010.

Unlike the X-prize this is only open to US residents.

well, providing you have the money just make a space shutte which can be re-fuelled mid flight.

it would not be practical to use on a daily scale but would win you the prize!

however, for $50m can you really develop / build / run a space ship and still make a decent profit?????

i think not, but maybe im wrong!

Only for US residents? I was just about to go to Moon with a sugar rocket. :(

"however, for $50m can you really develop / build / run a space ship and still make a decent profit?????

i think not, but maybe im wrong!"

Put a Coca-Cola banner on your rocket and there comes your sponsor money. :)

however' date=' for $50m can you really develop / build / run a space ship and still make a decent profit?????

i think not, but maybe im wrong![/quote']

Nobody is doing it for the prize. The prize will just off-set the cost of doing it.

I don’t see why you guys would consider this a 'sad' attempt considering the company sponsoring the prize no doubt has the money and somebody will eventually win it.

"Sad" as in America closing it's doors on international entries under the guise of needing it's own rocket as the Russians are charging them too much for the use of Soyuz.

Reading between the lines this looks like an attempt to catch up in the space race again (since the problems with the Shuttle) at the cost of International relations and possibly the quality of the product.

America's favourite toy is broken, he won't share with any of the other boys so he wants a new one all to himself!

From the link in my signature:

But the World Wide Web is Berners-Lee's alone. He designed it. He loosed it on the world. And he more than anyone else has fought to keep it open, nonproprietary and free.
It would be interesting to see how far the Web would have stretched had it been licensed by CERN.

• 3 weeks later...
however, for $50m can you really develop / build / run a space ship and still make a decent profit?????

i think not, but maybe im wrong!

I dont think anyone would do these things for a profit just for the spirit of space development, the guy who won the X-prize did not make a profit at all.

I wouldn't be supporting this space race comp if it wern't for the good spirit of those hoping to achieve first private manned space flight ,if it were me building I certainly would not be for profit , it would be a life investment worth committing to ( that may also have good returns ) which to give us hope the possibility for one person to achieve there personal desire to go into space .

Although it may only be 50 million big ones it is a small price to pay for developing such craft, so this also pushes those people who are coming up with ideas to build more effiecient,cost effective and innovative crafts as well ( maybe because government running out of ideas & money ) .

I don't NASA would be allowed , does it mention that anywhere ? Well I wouldn't be surprised .

Since if SS1 wins again then the Government would save it self a hellalotof money by not having to fund NASA to build more failed aircraft . (The reason why NASA is very hesitant on the next flight to space)