What is the science of improving the brain called?

Can you please share a specific quote to demonstrate where exactly you think I did this?

Seriously!?

Vitamin B and practice/repetition

Omega-3s might help, too, but not with the same impact as B vitamins.

That is what that means, the only reason you haven't miss represented data here is if you have never read a study on it and then it is just defined as ignorance and lying, but I thought I would give you the benefit of the doubt.

That quote specifies that Vitamin B has an impact and Omega-3's may also have a lesser impact, by implications of answering Appolinaria questions about memory in a previous post. This is untrue by the definition of each group chemicals having molecules of different unrelated function to each other let alone neurological function, which is especially important to note as Omega-3 fatty acids without neurological affects are sold as ones with them to the general public.

Seriously!?

Yes, seriously. The quote you shared does NOT support your assertions.

the only reason you haven't miss represented data here is if you have never read a study on it

We're done now.

What is the science of improving the brain called?

Education.

Just to be a bit pedantic... The "science" of it would be called educational psychology, and alternatively developmental psychology. ;)

I tried to go back and see where, exactly, the source of the misunderstanding lies, and to be honest, the majority of the posts are arguments about whether or not people read the claims right. I suggest you start again from post #9 where the references are posted by iNow instead of stating you know better what he meant.

!

Moderator Note

Enough with the personal jabs and attacks, the blatant and the implied ones. You are all eloquent individuals, and you can use the quote feature to refer to specific claims and refute them.

Really kind of ironic, no one at any point has asserted that any of the chemicals under discussion aren't in the brain or have no affect on it, what we have been say is that placing them in excess into the system has no affect on underlying brain function, which is vastly different from what any of your papers which say it has an affect on brain function in people with impaired memory, with little even mentioned into the underlying reasoning of why. So yes if you are malnourished these supplements will help, the same way Vitamin A will stop you going blind, however eating a gram of vitamin A a day isn't going to give you X-ray vision, it will give you a headache and make you sick.

It would be a major contributing factor, though the specific ability to remember doesn't make you intelligent, the ability to make connections between things therefore understanding the bigger picture does and that requires you to remember many different ideas.

You would have to find the study, but without reading it it seems like a logical assertion, if you are under pressure to do something or get away from it the mind would be distracted from other processes as they seem less important.

They don't make you more intelligent, your level of intelligence is exactly the same until you choose to put more information into the system and then you may remember more of that information than if you had a deficiency in DHA and arachidonic acid, however it has been shown that short term supplementation with these fatty acids doesn't actually change the proportional levels of them in young adult humans, but over a six month period more affect was shown.

The study on mice shows that originally the levels of DHA and AA are down regulated, this could be due to deficiency of the precursor or levels of anabolism of the fatty acid in the first place that doesn't occur in humans or only in the elderly. The only thing DHA and AA have been shown to do is to keep you at optimum performance, which in some maybe a increase in memory but only due to incorrect dietary intake in the first place. This is forgetting that there are other omega-3 fatty acids that have little effect, hence using the term omega-3 fatty acids is incorrect.

Just because a change takes more than 6 months doesn't mean the supplementation is insignificant. 6 months is not a long time.

The study states that a decrease in synaptic plasticity occurs because of aging in mice.. which they believe is the brain becoming increasingly rigid; not because of incorrect dietary intake. As I inquired earlier, aren't we all in different stages of aging? Therefore, I think keeping a brain at optimum performance is an improvement, since aging is inevitable....

So in response to the OP, I think certain omega 3 fatty acid's will improve memory, since it's been shown to improve synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus of rats. Other reputable sources claim this same affect in humans, but it might be part of a scheme (no sarcasm here). I don't know if the brains of rats are similar to human's, or if this same test has been replicated in humans, but at least it will send you in the right direction.

Here are some links I found interesting.

Not only are there studies on omega 3 fatty acid's, but also on insulin signaling..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2633586/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15094074

http://www.pnas.org/content/106/6/1971.full

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...