What is good and what evil

Genius13

i belive that nor good nor evil exists , its just a thing that we invented so every1 would feel ''good''

my definition ofgood is- something that is best for the man ( that is wondering what is good) in that moment of time

the evil also

for instance - u hit a man , is that good or evil? well u hit him because u were mad so to u that is good, but for him its bad ( because he is hurt )

and who r u to tell them that they r good or bad

its all relatyve

Good and evil exist, but they are not mystical forces, they are simply recognition or relative. To one thing, something has a negative impact, and to another, it has a positive. You can save a human, to the human, that is good, but to the living things it would kill, it is evil. This is why "bad things happen to good people" and is essentially why nature works the way it works. There's no good and evil forces that are actually determining anything, but there's still the perspective of things.

Edited by questionposter

Guest lab_supplies

for instance - u hit a man , is that good or evil? well u hit him because u were mad so to u that is good, but for him its bad ( because he is hurt )

its all relatyve

If you hit a man for no reason then while you may enjoy it at the time later you will regret it. That is bad no matter if you got hit or if you hit the other person. What leads people to give money to charity, they lose money but they still do it because it is 'good' to do.

If you hit a man for no reason then while you may enjoy it at the time later you will regret it. That is bad no matter if you got hit or if you hit the other person. What leads people to give money to charity, they lose money but they still do it because it is 'good' to do.

But what's good and evil are relative, and have you even heard of slaughter houses? Where's the cows revenge? I don't see karma or "badness" effecting the slaughter house owners.

Edited by questionposter

if u read my line closely u will see that i wrote '' whats best for a man IN THAT MOMENT OF TIME''

• 3 weeks later...

I personally believe that we all have a survival instinct that overides what we know as good and evil. War is a good example of that.

but I also believe that Guilt is something we are taught either by disciplinary actions or by observation either way, I believe it is in every person who is in a social society be it here in the USA or in the jungle of the amazon. It is the knowledge of existance!

It is inside every person to know what is good and what is evil. Guilt is what seperates them.

:)

I finished to write a teological essay (ndt: I'm not a priest) just few days ago about these themes: I think relativity is the main thing we must consider in this kind of reflection, in fact, you already said, for A an event may seems "good" and for B the same circumstances may seem "evil", so apparently it seems not to be a conclusion of this mechanism... But, and this is my opinion, I think the only think which can be defined as "evil" is the corruption of liberty: now the problem is to understand what is "liberty" and what does mean "corruption"... I've a theory about this, but I need more time to translate my essay in english: resuming, I think it is not a problem of defining "good" and "evil", but a needing of specify how a (specifical) "liberty" become a "fool being".

I will answer again to this topic, I just need more time to translate and resume 89 pages of essay.

No matter what people say, I believe that the concept ofmorality is merely constructed by humans. I mean, non-mammalian organisms haveonly the drive to survive and are completely amoral. Mammals, however, have alimbic system which governs emotion. I hypothesize that good and evil arosefrom the pleasure principle: what makes us feel better is good and what makesus feel worse is bad. Then there is the societal aspect of things, where somesacrifices are made (we can’t always have instant gratification) for thegreater good of the community.

We’re still controlled by our selfish impulses. It’s just they’vebeen redirected in ways that support mutualism so that it seems like we’re beingnice, and we are, in a way. But doing good? Furthers our own needs.

The universe is overwhelmingly magnificent, there are no flaws... The idea of "good and bad" to me is just the battle between doing what is logically right and what our emotions push us to do.

I think when it comes to doing 'bad', we are progressing. Partaking, then abstaining, then preventing.

• 1 month later...

i belive that nor good nor evil exists , its just a thing that we invented so every1 would feel ''good''

my definition ofgood is- something that is best for the man ( that is wondering what is good) in that moment of time

the evil also

its all relatyve

Are you serious? What an illegible pile of nonsense!

the evil also

its all relatyve

Good and evil are very much in the eye of the beholder.

Good and evil are very much in the eye of the beholder.

Is that really true? Seems to me that that is moral relativism gone to extremes. Whilst we may not be able to plan a nice logical path (which rationalism would demand compliance with) from our very being to evil (eg the torturing and abuse of infants) is not that important; very few people would not be able to identify good and evil. the fact that we cannot rationalise them from first principles and they rely on instinct is not the end of them as an idea

• 2 weeks later...

I personally believe that we all have a survival instinct that overides what we know as good and evil. War is a good example of that.

but I also believe that Guilt is something we are taught either by disciplinary actions or by observation either way, I believe it is in every person who is in a social society be it here in the USA or in the jungle of the amazon. It is the knowledge of existance!

It is inside every person to know what is good and what is evil. Guilt is what seperates them.

:)

I don't believe this is true, fairness is an inbuilt mechanism common to all mammalian social creatures. As such is the instinct that drives what we perceive to be good and evil.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97944783