Making Nanosuits, what field?

Napoleon

I want to develop a nanosuit. Like the one in Crysis. It's basicly nanomaterials that adjust to certain situations. They change shape to withstand blasts, become invisible (reflect light), increase speed et c. and they connect to the nerval system. You controll it with your spine et c.

What field would be more likley to give you the chance to work with stuff like this? Engineering Physics? Medical Engineering? What?

close_3.jpg

nanosuit2.jpg

Edited by Napoleon

In your links, there was one that linked to a story about a DARPA project involving exoskeletal suits. DARPA has since pulled that page from their website (read into that what you will), but the project was awarded to Sarcos. I suggest you call them directly (they are in Salt Lake City, UT, USA, GMT-6) and ask them what fields of study would help you get a job there.

Having read this

"It's basicly nanomaterials that adjust to certain situations. They change shape to withstand blasts, become invisible (reflect light), increase speed et c. and they connect to the nerval system. You controll it with your spine et c. "

I still think the answer is creative writing.

The exoskeletons that people are researching and that Napoleon has linked to are nothing much like the ones the OP is asking about.

Ideally I think the answer would be materials chemistry or materials engineering but I agree with John Cuthber that as of now the answer is creative writing.

Chemical Engineering sounds cool, but I thought there aren't any jobs for those? Like computer scientists?

At least Engineering Physics and Medical engineers have jobs?

I'm still in High School so I'm unsure.

Chemical Engineers most definitely get jobs, and well paying ones at that. Whoever told you that didn't know what they were talking about.

I imagine they were also the source of the information on nano-suits.

I would think either biomedical engineering or materials engineering would be a good choice, that's if computer games design doesn't work out.

In your links, there was one that linked to a story about a DARPA project involving exoskeletal suits. DARPA has since pulled that page from their website (read into that what you will), but the project was awarded to Sarcos. I suggest you call them directly (they are in Salt Lake City, UT, USA, GMT-6) and ask them what fields of study would help you get a job there.

This Sarcos site broke my windows explorer. This is something that has not happened to me in 20+ years of internet browsing.

I had to reset!

This Sarcos site broke my windows explorer. This is something that has not happened to me in 20+ years of internet browsing.

I had to reset!

Couple this with the fact that DARPA pulled that exoskeleton suit page from their website and you've got yourself a Class A conspiracy thriller going. Next there will be a rash of unexplained disappe

I wish to add my two cents. I have a game design certificate and I like the fanciful art of creative writing but science has always been my passion. I'm not arguing either way about the plausibility of the technology. Most of my opinions here will be generally considered questionable by a good number of others.

When I was in high school I wanted to excel beyond and take the worlds present state of technological advancement to another level. I made the sad mistake of believing that I could do it without going to school. I started my life after high school working in trades. I worked as a machinist but I also fixed the machines and worked on industrial controls as well. This learning was highly beneficial and if you were to begin a list of things to learn you might want to add a few trades to it. Also go to your local college and pick up some of the material for trade professionals.

Math for engineering and computer sciences has been, for me, a hobby that has taken up a significant amount of my time. Everything you will be doing will require math far beyond what they will teach you in your degree program. You might want to think about getting two degrees, one in math, and another. The reason I believe this is important to you is that most of your work will be similar in nature to creative writing and video game making. Instead I will call it(others may disagree) R&D and modeling. I think that if you are serious about working on projects that include technology beyond our present time frame, that most of your work will be done in simulation. This brings us to the next point, programming. Learn a platform. Keep your scope in mind and develop your workspace. You do not need to know Windows dev and Linux Dev, choose one, and stay with it. Choose your tools and learn how to make your own. The point is to have the skills but avoid making it your life's work, because this is not the target.

Get an education. Get a degree in the field of focus that gives you the most freedom to do what it is that you enjoy doing the most. You need to pay bills! This will also allow you the ability to develop a name in a given skill set and also allow you the opportunity to save for your own business. And this is a big point. Research like this will probably be funded out of your own pocket. You will work your entire life to get the credentials to be allowed to work on your projects and in the end you will pay for it as well. This means that you will have to find niche technologies that you can patent. Portions of your research can produce a revenue for your R&D entity to continue its growth.

I have chosen to get my degree in Bio-Chemistry and will be entering a degree program next fall. Currently I am working on freelance programming and component design for CAE. I am working on a scientific computing engine or a CAE software suite(DUALITY ©2010 - 2011 Entangled-Logic Technologies) that will be my platform for development. Set up a site to share a portion of your software technologies with the community; the community is your friend. Don't forget to educate yourself in some of the basics of the laws that are in place which will guide how you approach this as well. And learn about lawyers and what role they will be playing in your life. I hope to do more as my level of education, knowledge and experience expands. If all else fails, there's always creative writing and game design.

Edited by Wuz Here