Telepathy - it works or maybe not?

In addition, we also tend to expand the time of this — "I was just thinking about you" sometimes means today, but also can mean yesterday or in the last week. That changes the probabilities dramatically.

I am reminded of this when a person I have not talked to in a long time pops into my mind for no reason at all prior to getting an actual phone call from that person. I will remark to that person that I was just thinking of you the other day and they will respond that they were too and that is why they called. This scenario has happened to me repeatedly in the past and it has also been experienced by many people I talk to about it. I am curious to find out what is behind this that makes this an experience shared by many people.

I am reminded of this when a person I have not talked to in a long time pops into my mind for no reason at all prior to getting an actual phone call from that person. I will remark to that person that I was just thinking of you the other day and they will respond that they were too and that is why they called. This scenario has happened to me repeatedly in the past and it has also been experienced by many people I talk to about it. I am curious to find out what is behind this that makes this an experience shared by many people.

The 9/11 terroist attack, I had a dream two weeks prior of an invasion from another country though it was not a dream of the details outlining what actually took place in reality, it still was a strange dream since I never had a dream like that before in my life that I can recall. I found from searching on the internet that there were many individuals that were having dreams of terroist attacking our country too prior to the event. Is this a coincidence of randomness or is there something to it that explains it?

". Is this a coincidence of randomness or is there something to it that explains it? "

There are about 7 billion people on the planet.

The ones who didn't dream about 9/11 just before it happened haven't posted. The ones who did have.

People dream all sorts of weird stuff. Sometimes it happens and they make a note of it.

". Is this a coincidence of randomness or is there something to it that explains it? "

There are about 7 billion people on the planet.

The ones who didn't dream about 9/11 just before it happened haven't posted. The ones who did have.

People dream all sorts of weird stuff. Sometimes it happens and they make a note of it.

I read that there were a number of people that dreamt of it and it effected them so much that they tried to get their message conveyed to our government. Of course, this would have to take a great deal of courage since ridicule is evidently going to result from it for those people that were driven to share their dream.

I am not going to participate in a debate over my comment, I experienced what I said as well as many people have too that I have talked to on the subject. It was just something I wanted to share on this forum.

I read that there were a number of people that dreamt of it and it effected them so much that they tried to get their message conveyed to our government. Of course, this would have to take a great deal of courage since ridicule is evidently going to result from it for those people that were driven to share their dream.

You have to realize, though, that there are millions of people who dream 'realistic' dreams and try to give them some sort of meaning. I have had many dreams of bad things happening, and then something similar to my dreams happen. It isn't that I saw some tragic event before it happened, it's just tragic events happen all the time and before that event there are most likely thousands, if not millions, of people dreaming of tragic events. If you do a google search of virtually any event there are people claiming to have dreamed of the event before it happened and you will find a ridiculous amount of people saying they had those dreams. But now think about all the times you had a dream of something terrible happened and nothing did. That is not something worth talking about for most people, so all of those billions of dreams you never hear about that never came true far outweigh the things that have. It's the same thing that allow people to fall prey to cold readings. People make vague, almost nonsensical, connections so things like dreams make sense to their everyday lives and forget the things that don't play a part.

Now the same things goes with thinking of people. If you want to play a game with yourself to test this. Keep a notebook and pen with you at all times and anytime you think of anybody you know write their name down, even duplicates, and when you thought of them. Anytime the people you have thought of call you put a mark next to their names. Now at the end of the week, or month or year, I'm certain you will find that the majority of people you thought of didn't call you.

The 9/11 terroist attack, I had a dream two weeks prior of an invasion from another country though it was not a dream of the details outlining what actually took place in reality, it still was a strange dream since I never had a dream like that before in my life that I can recall. I found from searching on the internet that there were many individuals that were having dreams of terroist attacking our country too prior to the event. Is this a coincidence of randomness or is there something to it that explains it?

Clearly you are interested in science and have of some what of a rational mind, otherwise you would be hanging around a religious or psychic website etc.

So why not put Ringer's method of writing down people's names who pop into your head and then a tick beside those who then ring you.

Put your belief to a simple but quite rigorous test.

After 6 months or so post the results of your test here.

Edited by Greg Boyles

Clearly you are interested in science and have of some what of a rational mind, otherwise you would be hanging around a religious or psychic website etc.

So why not put Ringer's method of writing down people's names who pop into your head and then a tick beside those who then ring you.

Put your belief to a simple but quite rigorous test.

After 6 months or so post the results of your test here.

Okay

Yes it can.

It's possible to come up with an estimate of the probability of the event based on chance and to compare that to the observed incidence.

If you do I rather suspect that you will find that the best explanation is coincidence.

You might see if you can track down a copy of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innumeracy_(book)

Isn't coincidence just a word used for something that happens repeatedly in people's lives that have no scientific explanation for it?

Isn't coincidence just a word used for something that happens repeatedly in people's lives that have no scientific explanation for it?

nope. like most thing in science. we have a very specific definition of coincidence.

basically, it's an event that occurs in conjuction with another event but is completely unrelated to that event.

for instance, lets say we have a frog sitting on the dashboard of a car.

as the car is accelerating, the frog jumps off exactly as it passes 20 mph. This would be coincidental as there is nothing to make the frog jump at 20mph and not some other arbitrary speed.

now, if you rigged a device to nudge the frog into jumping as you passed 20mph, or the vibrations at 20mph encouraged the frog to jump then it would not be coincidence.

most times you need a lot of repeated experimentation to say whether it is a coincidence or not.