Hibernating animals

rakuenso

Not quite sure what you are looking for.

Do you mean do all amphibians (frog sized) do it? Or, what is the duration of the hibernation; what temperaures can they tolerate; what environment do they choose to hibernate in; how long do they take to come out of hibernation; what signals trigger the two responses; do these vary between species, beween genera, etc; does failure to hibernate impact on breeding cycles? Or do you want to flip it on is head and think about estivation? Give us more of a clue as to what you are after.

I'm doing an experiment that tests whether there is a lower level of cellular respiration during hibernation or not

I actually need just a list of animals that are amphibians or can survive under water during hibernation

Its fun putting wetas in sleeping bags.

why? they survive perfectly well asleep without them, but if you want to be excesively Kind to them and give them little sleeping bags, that`s cool too, there far too much cruelty anyway, it`s nice to see someone that cares :)

man those wetas look like a hybrid of an oversized cricket and spider :eek:

This description reminded me of a dessicated insect corpse I found on a book shelf while I was in France.

This thing really freaked me out as I had never seen anything like it, not in the flesh and not in the literature.

Imagine a centipede about two inches long.

Now imagine it has the colouration and legs of a spider, with the legs getting longer towards the rear until they end with two pairs that are more the twice the length of the others, and angled up then down in an "I can pounce real fast" kind of way.

Also put larger jaws on it.

Eeek.

Anyone have any idea what that ugly fecker was?

Wetas are truly marvellous creatures. I saw on a nature document when the freezing process was taken on video; you could actually see ice crystals forming on the thing. Sorcerer is lucky to live in New Zealand where there are all sorts of cool insects. :( We don't even have roaches or poisonous spiders or anything like that. :<

Wetas are truly marvellous creatures. I saw on a nature document when the freezing process was taken on video; you could actually see ice crystals forming on the thing.

these froggy things I mentioned above are similar, you could store them in your freezer ice-cube tray for 6 months, take them out and have a perfectly living viable frog again!!!!

now THAT`S freaky! :))

This description reminded me of a dessicated insect corpse I found on a book shelf while I was in France.

This thing really freaked me out as I had never seen anything like it' date=' not in the flesh and not in the literature.

Imagine a centipede about two inches long.

Now imagine it has the colouration and legs of a spider, with the legs getting longer towards the rear until they end with two pairs that are more the twice the length of the others, and angled up then down in an "I can pounce real fast" kind of way.

Also put larger jaws on it.[/quote']

Then put it in a sleeping bag.

Sounds like some kind of centipede to me.

Wetas are truly marvellous creatures. I saw on a nature document when the freezing process was taken on video; you could actually see ice crystals forming on the thing. Sorcerer is lucky to live in New Zealand where there are all sorts of cool insects. :( We don't even have roaches or poisonous spiders or anything like that. :<

Too cold for roaches down here in the South Island, thank god... The only native poisonous spider we have are found under driftwood and amongst tussock on sand dunes, they are called katapos and apparently the femals are only poisonous during the breeding season, but I wouldnt want to test that one.

There are several types of weta, the Giant weta being the coolest, it'd make the best reaction in a sleeping bag. Huhu grubs and beetles are kind of cool, the grubs are pretty tasty too. You should see the carnvorous land snails (not an insect I know) in Nelson and also the Nelson cave spiders.

Get one of these down your sleeping bag! http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/TePapa/English/CollectionsAndResearch/Collections/InsectsSpidersAndSimilar/Spiders/Spiders_Web/What/Nelsoncave.htm

Those things are actually common somewhere? :( Damn, I really have to move to a warmer country. :P

Ironicly, during my childhood in Louisiana and Florida, where most insects are approximately the size of a city bus, I never saw these. I only ran into them when I moved to Ohio.

Mokele