Hibernating animals

rakuenso

these froggy things I mentioned above are similar' date=' you could store them in your freezer ice-cube tray for 6 months, take them out and have a perfectly living viable frog again!!!!

now THAT`S freaky! :))[/quote']

they'd have to be frozen quickly though... but strangely their dont form crystals in their blood

also, i read an article that the faster you are frozen, the less crystals you form and thus the greater the success of you coming back alive =D

Was it something like these? (warning' date=' big pics of weird bugs)

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

If it looked like those, it was probably the common house centipede. Not dangerous or anything, and *really* cool looking.

Mokele

also, wetas, frogs and turtles?

btw wetas cant be obtained at where i live since apparently they only live in NZ

I need to submerse creature underwater to test CO2 levels and see if they decrease during hibernation

wow now did that send a tingle up my spine

Ironicly' date=' during my childhood in Louisiana and Florida, where most insects are approximately the size of a city bus, I never saw these. I only ran into them when I moved to Ohio.

Mokele[/quote']

these as in wetas? wth what niches do you find them in?

Do the lung fish its a very interesting creature.

Very interesting, and I've learned a lot from working with them (one of the grad students I work with is using them in her project).

One thing I *have* learned is never, ever EVER put your hand near their mouths, especially the big Protopterus dolloi (some of ours are over 2 feet long and nearly 5 inches in diameter). My co-worker got nailed *bad* from one, and she's heard of someone who lost a finger to one.

Aside from that, though, they're all kinds of neat.

Mokele

• 5 years later...
Ironicly, during my childhood in Louisiana and Florida, where most insects are approximately the size of a city bus, I never saw these. I only ran into them when I moved to Ohio.

Mokele

Same here! I've lived in California, Washington, Maine, Texas, New Jersey and Ohio. The weird thing is, I've collectively lived in Ohio for about 10 years, and have just recently starting seeing them.

It reminded me of the coffee-drinking aliens from Men In Black... so I may or may not have put on my work suit, a pair of sunglasses, and went on a mission...

So it's really just a type of centipede? Not dangerous at all? Thats good to know.

I was afraid they might be the 'lay eggs in your ear' type of bug.