An English sentence !

Hal.

The following sentence is an English language sentence : We will eat neither fish nor chips but bread .

Based on the meaning of this sentence I would like to ask people the following ,

Of the three foods mentioned , fish , chips , bread , Which of these are we going to eat ?

The following sentence is an English language sentence : We will eat neither fish nor chips but bread .

Based on the meaning of this sentence I would like to ask people the following ,

Of the three foods mentioned , fish , chips , bread , Which of these are we going to eat?

That's not really a proper modern English sentence, though. It lacks punctuation, and the use of "but " is archaic and King James Bible-ish.

If the sentence were put into modern English, it would read:

"We will eat neither fish nor chips - only bread."

Even that doesn't sound entirely idiomatic: Better would be:

"We won't eat fish, or chips. Only bread".

An interesting post, but what exactly are you getting at?

[/font]

[/font]

That's not really a proper modern English sentence, though. It lacks punctuation, and the use of "but " is archaic and King James Bible-ish.

If the sentence were put into modern English, it would read:

"We will eat neither fish nor chips - only bread."

Even that doesn't sound entirely idiomatic: Better would be:

"We won't eat fish, or chips. Only bread".

You're killing me. (Or, going the the full McKean, your killing me)

The only addition I would make to the sentence is a comma , giving the following ,

We will eat neither fish nor chips , but bread .

All I am trying to do is ask people the meaning of this sentence . I put it in this form , it could , I think , just as well have been put as follows .

We will go to neither the football nor the golf , but the hockey .

Then my question would simply change to ,

Of the three activities mentioned , football , golf , hockey , Which of these are we going to go to ?

The only addition I would make to the sentence is a comma , giving the following ,

We will eat neither fish nor chips , but bread .

All I am trying to do is ask people the meaning of this sentence . I put it in this form , it could , I think , just as well have been put as follows .

Then my question would simply change to ,

Of the three activities mentioned , football , golf , hockey , Which of these are we going to go to ?

Of the three activities mentioned: football, golf and hockey; which of these are we going to go to?

Of the three activities mentioned: football, golf and hockey...which of these are we going to go to?

Of the three activities mentioned: football, golf and hockey. Which of these are we going to go to?

Of the three activities mentioned: football, golf and hockey-which of these are we going to go to?

Edited by StringJunky

Of the three activities mentioned: football, golf and hockey; which of these are we going to go to?

Of the three activities mentioned: football, golf and hockey...which of these are we going to go to?

Of the three activities mentioned: football, golf and hockey. Which of these are we going to go to?

Of the three activities mentioned: football, golf and hockey-which of these are we going to go to?

Never use a preposition to end a sentence with!

We will go to neither the football nor the golf , but the hockey.

If you said that to someone, they'd back away nervously, muttering "OK guy, fine, see you later...". Then they'd phone a friend and ask: "Is that guy safe?"

Tony

The spurious rule about not ending sentences with prepositions is a remnant of Latin grammar, in which a preposition was the one word that a writer could not end a sentence with. But Latin grammar should never straightjacket English grammar. If the superstition is a "rule" at all, it is a rule of rhetoric and not of grammar, the idea being to end sentences with strong words that drive a point home. That principle is sound, of course, but not to the extent of meriting lockstep adherence or flouting established idiom.

(Garner's Modern American Usage, Oxford University Press, 2003)

http://grammar.about.com/od/grammarfaq/f/terminalprepositionmyth.htm

Hal

You should always put your punctuation marks immediately after the last word and then make a space before the next sentence or part of it...except when using dashes (-) and the ellipsis (...).

Edited by StringJunky

TonyMcC , + 30 posts , joke explained !

If you said that to someone, they'd back away nervously, muttering "OK guy, fine, see you later...". Then they'd phone a friend and ask: "Is that guy safe?"

Why ?

Why ?

It's a slightly unusual method of expression - although it would surely be understood. I might use that formulation, but only in an OTT manner; eg if I was celebrating 'Tonight we will drink neither beer nor wine but champagne!' It is old fashioned enough to be a bit hammy or camp and perhaps not an entirely natural usage.

And as you can tell from the example I am off to the pub. Gnite!

I know it's a rule that is, perhaps with good reason, often broken. My only excuse is that I went to a grammar school!

I wish I'd been as fortunate as you...I was in the first intake of the 'comprehensive' system. TBH, coming here has made me analyse my style and subsequent errors on the way. I'm evolving all the time with this...there are some very good users of English here that I learn bits from here and there. :)

Rules are made to be broken but it should not be done without being mindful of the potential consequences.

Edited by StringJunky

Hearing talk like that , I would think it is a bit ' Law dee Daw ' , remember it is only to illustrate a piece of grammar that I would like to find any meanings of .

The sentence is currently ,

The question currently is ,

Of the three activities mentioned : football , golf and hockey ; Which of these are we going to go to ?

I thank StringJunky for the ' : ' , ' ; ' and also the ' and ' .

Hearing talk like that , I would think it is a bit ' Law dee Daw ' , remember it is only to illustrate a piece of grammar that I would like to find any meanings of .

Of the three activities mentioned : football , golf and hockey ; Which of these are we going to go to ?

I thank StringJunky for the ' : ' , ' ; ' and also the ' and ' .

I can't see why you're insisting on that word "but". The word can certainly be used in expressions such as:

" Some posters drink nothing but vodka ".

However the contrived sentence: "We will go to neither the football nor the golf, but the hockey" is unnatural in modern colloquial English. It invites the question: but the hockey - what?

If you absolutely insist on having "but", this would be an acceptable sentence:

"We will go to neither the football nor the golf, but we'll go to the hockey."

What's with this "but" fixation? Please clarify, thanks.

I can't see why you're insisting on that word "but".

I must insist on that word because it is in the sentence I want to know the meaning of , no arrogance intended .

The word can certainly be used in expressions such as: " Some posters drink nothing but vodka ".

I understand that Dekan , but it is only this instance I am questioning the meaning of .

However the contrived sentence: "We will go to neither the football nor the golf, but the hockey" is unnatural in modern colloquial English. It invites the question: but the hockey - what?

Hopefully , it invites many questions as multiple meanings of the sentence is the point of the thread .

If you absolutely insist on having "but", this would be an acceptable sentence:

"We will go to neither the football nor the golf, but we'll go to the hockey."

I must insist , the sample you give would only be acceptable if it did not change the meaning of my original sentence , which I fear it may .

What's with this "but" fixation? Please clarify, thanks.

It is the full sentence that is in question , not any particular word , only the meaning of this instance in conjunction with the others .

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Threads can be very long and the actual point can be lost , for clarity the following is the current situation , forgive the necessary monotony .

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

• 1 month later...