Kno3

boris_73

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
would it not decompose under heat condititions

it certainly can indeed, but considering it only decomposes at 513 Kelvin, any household cooker would be hard pushed to acheive that at FULL POWER!. so 100 to 150c isn`t going to do a thing to it other than drive off any water :)

I have 1 5lb box of Nitrate of Soda 16-0-0 and 1 5lb box of Muriate of Potash 0.0.60. I was wondering what would be the procedure in mixing the 2 for making Potassium Nitrate. What would be the weight of mixture, what would it be dissolved in and how would you dry it out. Is it possible?

Thanks in Advance!

K displaces Na so i suppose using the ratio of Mr NaNO3/ Ar Kwhatever it is, with obviously the ratio Na to K, would be a start and then disolving the 2 (K displaces Na)
HUH!?????

lets answer this question PROPERLY!

consider Na N and O3 each has a molar value

Na= 11 N=7 Ox3 =24 totaling 42 grams per mole

now for K and Cl

K=19 and Cl=17, totaling 36 grams per mole.

you want a 1 for 1 displacement reaction, so use 42 grams of NaNO3 to 36 grams of KCl in a saturated and heated water soln and allow it to cool slowly, the KNO3 will form the crystals 1`st as it`s the least soluble of the 2 :)

that should do the trick nicely (that`s what I do!) :)

well...... you could add water, heat to, say 75 celsius then pour off the water, then "boil" whatever dampness remains. that should remove all polar/ionic solutes. actually to be more accurate you could use sulfuric acid. as for nonpolar solutes, you may have to play around with various solvents.

I know plastic sulphur is made by cooling a stream of S rapidly' date=' and I also know that when heated sulphur gets a red color.

"I`ve seen Red sulpher too :)"

A room temp. sulfur that's red? How's that done? :o[/quote']

actualy we made it by boiling it in water untill it melted then dumping it cold water whilst still hot.

who mentioned Red Sulper at room temp? LOL :)

With the stream thing I meant plastic sulphur in the form that's similar to a rubber band.

"who mentioned Red Sulper at room temp? LOL :)"

Sneaky little Britsman. :P I assumed you were talking about sulphur that's organized so that it appears red (which is the case with red and white phosphorous).

there is also Yellow and Black phosphourus too! :)

True, but it's debateable as to whether or not yellow phosphorus is a true allotrope, or just a mixture of white and red phosphorus. Black phosphorus is a true allotrope, however, which has been verified by its chemical reactivity and structure.