Why do continents look like this?

Justa_kid

so i was talking with my sis and mom the other day (who are WAY geekier than me :D) and my sister asked my mom why all the continents looked like a triangle were the base is at the north pole(geographical terms). if you could answer this for me that would be great

and sorry if this is unreadable.

so i was talking with my sis and mom the other day (who are WAY geekier than me :D) and my sister asked my mom why all the continents looked like a triangle were the base is at the north pole(geographical terms). if you could answer this for me that would be great

and sorry if this is unreadable.

I am honestly not sure what you are asking but if you are asking why all the continents seem to fit together like a jig saw puzzle, it's due to continental drift which is caused by plate tectonics.

Antarctica isn't, Europe isn't, Australia isn't. So half of the continents meet this condition.

Although you were not asking the question Moontanman provisionally answered his answer stands here too. The continents are continually colliding, assembling, splitting up, disassociating, re-assembling as a consequence of plate tectonics. The shapes are thus pretty much random. Have a look at past global geographies and you will not find your slight triangular pattern.

no what i am trying to ask is why are all coninents wider at the top than the bottom

You have newly opening ocean basin pushing the plates apart completely around Antarctica

There is a massive Oceanic Rift pushing the Atlantic and Pacific apart.

Rifting in the southern hemisphere is measured higher then the rifting in the northern hemisphere.

This results in a largely 'new' (most of it is less then 70 million years old) and oceanic southern hemisphere

and a largely ancient (Up to 4 billion years old) continental northern hemisphere.

This is why you have your triangle, or S pattern continents.

I cannot answer the question. To me LightStorm's answer is a clever way to say it is that way because it is that way.

I like to question why are there continents at all, and not random points, like polynesia, all around?

I'm not allowed to answer that question

I cannot answer the question. To me LightStorm's answer is a clever way to say it is that way because it is that way.

I like to question why are there continents at all, and not random points, like polynesia, all around?

Maybe because a Deity created them?

Golly gee whiz Light Storm I wonder why?

Maybe because a Deity created them?

This is not the religious forum, this is science forum, simply saying a deity did it explains nothing. Take it to the religious forum....

You have newly opening ocean basin pushing the plates apart completely around Antarctica

There is a massive Oceanic Rift pushing the Atlantic and Pacific apart.

Rifting in the southern hemisphere is measured higher then the rifting in the northern hemisphere.

This results in a largely 'new' (most of it is less then 70 million years old) and oceanic southern hemisphere

and a largely ancient (Up to 4 billion years old) continental northern hemisphere.

This is why you have your triangle, or S pattern continents.

Can you back any of this up with evidence light storm?

Some people can't handle the truth :)

Can you back any of this up with evidence light storm?

crustageposter.jpg

You mean like the research done by the National Geophysical data Centre aka NOAA

http://www.ngdc.noaa...stalimages.html

I have come to realize that you are easily confused by legitimate science sites... so just for you, here is a Wiki Link

http://en.wikipedia....i/Oceanic_crust

Some people can't handle the truth :)

Yeah, like the expanding Earth theory?

crustageposter.jpg

You mean like the research done by the National Geophysical data Centre aka NOAA

http://www.ngdc.noaa...stalimages.html

I have come to realize that you are easily confused by legitimate science sites... so just for you, here is a Wiki Link

http://en.wikipedia....i/Oceanic_crust

Ah light storm, you can give legitimate sources, see now that wasn't so difficult was it? No where in scientific literature have i ever seen "because light storm said it" as an explanation, lets try to keep it that way sporty....

Edited by Moontanman

!

Moderator Note

Both of you can stop this now.

Light Storm, you get no sympathy for not being allowed to break the rules. Moontanman, please let staff deal with these issues.

Do not derail this thread further by responding to this note.

• 4 weeks later...