DVD could hold 1000 Gigabyte of data

bloodhound

The gaming and multimedia industries is the leading cause for computer advancement, do you really need a pc like mine for word docs?

My PC:

Soyo Ultimate Platnium Edition Mobo

P4 2.4ghz w/ 533mhz FSB

1 gig CORSAIR pc 2700 ram at 333mhz

120 gig / 80 gig seagate beracuda 7200 rpm hdds

dvd rw / cd rw

ATI Radeon 9500 128meg 8x APG Pro video card

If it wasnt for games, I wouldnt need all of that, hell my PDA, iPAQ 2215 has more then needed for plain text.

I can remember having an old 486 turbo packard bell. It had a whopppping 500mb of storage. Finally we filled it up, wore the pc out and got a new one. It had something like 1300 mb. I thought I would never be able to use that much data.

Times changed, I got a 3 GB drive. Again, thought I would never fill it. Skipping all the steps from my 3gb to my current setup with 1 30gb drive, and one 70gb drive, I have almost filled them up and will soon be looking for another hard drive that I will never be able to fill up. And then I'll fill it up.

Not everyone will put a 1TB disk to use, but I certainly would. I mean, you could backup every single computer in a household or small network on a single disk.

You could have a radio station worth of music on a single disk.

Libraries of info.

it's also very useful for video editing. anyway, the capacity of storage devices will only continue to increase because there is really nothing holding the industry back. people want to be able to hold incredible amounts of encoding in their palm, and hey, why a palm when it can be on say a fingertip?

• 3 weeks later...

I can see both points to this discussion. Im sure though, that If a 1TB CD was made, it would be re recordable, I think it would be quite stupid for a disc that big in common manufacture is not re-recordable.

I can almost guarantee that 90% of people who use a computer would not be able to fill a TB CD in 1, as is neccesary with all CD-R's and DVD-R's.

In some cases I need smaller storage, and in others I need larger storage. Most of the people I know use MSN, and those who don't tend to have an email address. I'm still on dial up internet, (Bloody countryside!) But I find it no problem to send a 1.44mb file over the internet. Sure it may take me 10-20 minutes, but that's not a lot of time. I think floppy disks are becoming more and more extinct.

My school has just got a new computer suite: P4 3.2Ghz, 512MB DDR330 ram and 80GB Hard drives. Not one of these computers has a floppy drive. (Maybe it's just that they're crap computers, but I do think that floppy will be completely gone in a few years)

However, when some of my more fortunate friends who happen to be on broadband ~Cough BASTARDS Cough~ download things that I can not, often these amount to more than 10GB, and thus result in needing more than 1 DVD. In this case a 50GB DVD would be ideal, but in my opinion, CD's should be kept for those files that are a bit to big to send even on broadband, DVD's should be kept for those movies and files too big for CD's, and a larger DVD (Such as the Blu-ray) should be more widely available. And as for those people whining about 3MB files being too big to be sent by email on dial up: Put up with it, I have to!

I think if one assumes the domestic market is the most important in helping technology to proliferate, that is a big mistake.

Does anyone realise just how many server rooms there are on the planet? Try and think of some reasons why network admins wouldn't want to be able to back everything up onto a couple of discs.

• 1 month later...

i bet that 1 tb disc will be sensitive as hell. one little nic and its shot to hell. cds can take a beating. dvd can endure a little.

i can say that i usually need more than 4 gigs on a disc. i share alot of stuff and if i was able to add more data on a disc it would help me tremendously but one tb is too much for the end user. i worked at a major television studio and its entire network had less than 1 tb of data. and that's with over 1000 pcs. i think the way things are headed, that disc wont make it. i think portable storage devices will out do it.

i have an external hd that holds 500gigs. it uses a firewire connection. i can take this hd and plug in to any pc and synchronize anything i want. if i had the 1 tb disc, i would have to have drives on all the pcs that would use the disc. you know those drives will cost $800 at least.

Don't forget the game industry- one of the main things holding them back is the fact that they can't compress as much as they want to onto a DVD. And once we get a 1-tb disc (I believe this was stated before) we'll starting seeing 1 tb as nothing, and striving for 2 tb discs, because programs will get bigger.

And the drives will drop to about current DVD-RW drives' prices within a couple years.

Plus, technology will advance enough to protect the disc more, I'm sure.

Don't forget the game industry- one of the main things holding them back is the fact that they can't compress as much as they want to onto a DVD.

WHAT?????????????

sorry, i totaly disagree with that.

if game companies spent money on compression software, you would end up having all games a few hundred MBs... but they dont... why?

the CD companies make money, now with DVDs the DVD companies make money, HDD companies make money, they dont have to spend money, it makes companies make bigger HDD and so increases computer capacity, it generally makes the computer systems capable of handling bigger software.

now im not saying its a good nor bad thing, im just saying that game companies do NOTHING to compress their games even though the technology is already there (although much could be done to improve it)

if games and other programs were smaller although compression rates would need to be taken into account, smaller programs could be accessed quicker.. meaning faster programs... but then again, why would they spend money when:

the CD companies make money, now with DVDs the DVD companies make money, HDD companies make money, they dont have to spend money, it makes companies make bigger HDD and so increases computer capacity, it generally makes the computer systems capable of handling bigger software.

Don't forget the game industry- one of the main things holding them back is the fact that they can't compress as much as they want to onto a DVD.

I can count the available DVD games on the fingers of one hand. Many games still come on one CD. What's to stop them putting games on multiple DVDs?

Your statement is factually inaccurate, methinks.

• 2 months later...