9/11 - The Effect of Centre of Mass?

The Conqueror

!

Moderator Note

It should be noted at the outset that this is in the physics section; any discussion of or relating to conspiracy or cover-up is off-topic

The 9/11 Massacre is quite known to everyone. I was wondering the mechanism behind the massive destruction.
Is it the principle of Center of Mass?

That's rather vague; there are a number of scientific and engineering principles behind it. Combustion. Materials properties. Gravity.

Perhaps naively, I would assume that all tall buildings are built in a way that minimizes the possibility of them toppling over in any direction, no matter how much wind or fire damage occurs. It seems somewhat obvious that that would have been the main concern in the engineering of progressively taller structures, though I don't have any direct evidence to base this on.

Edited by lemur

well, the reason it didn't just flop over onto its side was because the stuff it was made of was too weak, even without the impact and fire damage.

the steel beams simply weren't strong enough to form a pivot to allow for any significant lateral acceleration. perhaps if it was over engineered to the point where it was essentially a solid ingot of steel then you might be able to get it to pivot, but then an air craft crashing into it wouldn't have done nearly as much damage.

this isn't saying the steel used was weak, just that as things get bigger their massgets bigger faster than strength

The 9/11 Massacre is quite known to everyone. I was wondering the mechanism behind the massive destruction.

Is it the principle of Center of Mass?

This would be quite a simple question to answer if we could ask the magician who pulled building 7 so easily without preparation.

Regards

DL