Scientists develop a self sustaining robot

MolecularMan14

It may eat flies and stink to high heaven, but if this robot works, it will be an important step towards making robots fully autonomous.

Full Story

The UWC is developing a robot that will be able to sustain its own functions, by meatolising dead flies. And get this- it attracts the flies using human sewage.

Edit* post #400 baby YEA!

ROFLOL lance, thats a wicked one!

that is wicked [the robot] shame bout the smell, its a good way forward, the only obvious problem is that in in-humane conditions, e.g. poisionous gas, high temperatures, there isnt normally flies there either! which means the robot will starve.

not really all that much though, the catalytic enzymes may even be simplified to adapt to such things as natural sugars present in plants, and if you decided not to got that route, how much more difficult would it be for it to assimilate a Spider as opposed to a fly? I don`t think it`s that great a leap or change in the bio-chem catalyst to break most things down into a usefull energy source :)

I want to see robots that harvest crops and then eat the stalks or weeds, or the excess of the plant, that no one else would eat. That would help with gardening! the weed-eating robot, that not only ate the weeds, but also the parasites that grow on the plants. :) not a bod goal! lol

I'm pretty sure they won't make a cybernetic photosynthetic system anywhere near as efficient as a purely biological one.......... perhaps we need to make our own life forms and chip their brains so we can remote-control them.

pfft let see how long it takes for them to obtain sentience