Cause of the magnetic fields of the Earth?

alpha2cen

There is a theory about Earth's magnetic fields origin.

But, how about this origin theory possibility, i.e., nuclear reaction in the core?

I think the nuclear reaction makes heat and radiation, and the heat and radiation make electric current in the Earth inside.

The electric current movement induces the Earth's magnetic fields.

And, the heat generated from the nuclear reaction induces the Earth cluster movement, and the movement caused to volcanic eruption and earth quake.

This is one possibility.

Much of the Earth's heat is produced by nuclear reactions. If it were not then we would have cooled down ages ago.

This was the flaw in Lord Kelvin's estimate of the age of the Earth; he didn't know about radioactivity.

However the important thing to remember is that maintaining a magnetic field does not (in principle) require power so you don't need a power source. It's sufficient that the earth's core is molten and moving through the field to maintain that field. The current will have resistive losses so there will be a transfer of energy which will slow down the rotation over the ages.

Georeactor...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georeactor

The Earth's magnetic field in relation to the reactorAccording to Herndon, the energy produced by the reactor is what sustains the magnetic field of the Earth. He says the energy produced maintains the field. The field has weakened in recent years to indicate a possible polarity switch of our planet's poles. In his theory the switches in the field are caused by the reactor turning on and off.

Does the Sun have South pole and North pole same direction as Earth magnetic pole?

no. it has many north and south poles and the number varies with time as does their location.

How big is the intensity ?

far greater than earths.

This is all due to the fact that the sun is a conductor all the way through while the earth only has a little bit of molten metal near the center.

The magnetic field is not caused by a simple lump of iron which is magnetic - as you pointed out the iron is above the curie point (about 1000 deg c IIRC) and is no longer a simple magnet. The field is caused by electric currents which flow around/through the core in a rolling cylindircal formation (caused by coriolis) that are aligned NS. You could visualise this as a series of convection currents which form the outer realm of the liquid core - the axis of these rotations is north south - ie a ring of rotating currents around the central mass. This is known as the dynamo effect - but I cannot find a decent webpage to demonstrate nor can I find the words to explain.

The magnetic field is not caused by a simple lump of iron which is magnetic - as you pointed out the iron is above the curie point (about 1000 deg c IIRC) and is no longer a simple magnet. The field is caused by electric currents which flow around/through the core in a rolling cylindircal formation (caused by coriolis) that are aligned NS. You could visualise this as a series of convection currents which form the outer realm of the liquid core - the axis of these rotations is north south - ie a ring of rotating currents around the central mass. This is known as the dynamo effect - but I cannot find a decent webpage to demonstrate nor can I find the words to explain.

Shouldn't in this case the geographic & magnetic pole coincide?

IIRC the cause of Earth's magnetic field has not been fully described yet.

Edited by michel123456

If iron and other magnetic metals lose their magnetic properties when they become molten, how could the core of the Earth be appropriately 9000 degrees?

Magnetohydrodynamics (google that phrase).

These lecture slides from an upper-level undergraduate Earth Sciences class at Berkeley give a nice overview: http://seismo.berkeley.edu/~rallen/eps122/lectures/L07.pdf.

There is a theory about Earth's magnetic fields origin.

But, how about this origin theory possibility, i.e., nuclear reaction in the core?

I think the nuclear reaction makes heat and radiation, and the heat and radiation make electric current in the Earth inside.

The electric current movement induces the Earth's magnetic fields.

And, the heat generated from the nuclear reaction induces the Earth cluster movement, and the movement caused to volcanic eruption and earth quake.

This is one possibility.

We really have a south magnetic pole amid the Artic Circle (That is on our left when we face East.) If we just spin the earth Eastward and charge the earth with a negative charge, that would do to produce a South magnetic pole up North. I tried it and it works!