aluminium powder

Guest nuttyman2

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me Gilded, I'm not steering you wrong. And geez people, it's not hard to re-dress the stone.

In about 30 seconds you're going to have globs of aluminum melted in the wheel - they won't be powder. What comes off the wheel will fly all over the room and be contaminated by the dust that's on the floor. What comes off the wheel will be sparks - in other words, it will be burnt. Will it still perform as you want it to?

What in the heck is wrong with spending $7 on a can of already powdered aluminum?

Are you supposed to be making it for a science project?

PS - Trust me, I own a machine shop and have worked in the trade for 30 years.

You can get alu from deodorant cans over here in the UK, try the same where you come from.

Couldn’t you do this chemically? Like put it in some sulphuric acid then do a displacement reaction to get it out? Just and idea, just leaving it to melt away seems easier to me, lol. Lazy bones.

It's sad how little use over 99% aluminum, titanium and such have these days. All alloys. Luckily, there are nice men in the world who run pyrotechnics companies. :)

The materials are much stronger as alloys, and the different alloys of aluminum are made for specific purposes. There is one alloy suitable for welding, one that can be bent without cracking and one that is meant to be used specifically in marine applications because it is corrosion resistant.

Does everyone have an experience of burning an aluminium foil?

Aluminium powder burn and sliver sparks are observed' date='but is not for aluminium foil.

Is aluminium foil=tin?[/quote']

I can’t imagine it being pure tin. Pure tin is brittle.

"The materials are much stronger as alloys, and the different alloys of aluminum are made for specific purposes. There is one alloy suitable for welding, one that can be bent without cracking and one that is meant to be used specifically in marine applications because it is corrosion resistant."

Yeah I knew that there are reasons to make alloys, it just makes me sad when people don't use the pure elements in all their glory of... purity. :P

dude... i've ordered countless lbs of aluminum powder online at http://www.skylighter.com ...and surprisingly..its pretty easy to get. however, if you plan on making m-80's and such with it, you'll have to purchase the tubes seperately or make your own. because they wont sell potassium perchlorate+aluminum powder+tubes and plugs in the same order or to the same address.

plenty fine enough for thermite, just make sure your ferric oxide is just as fine.

as for cost, it`s all depending on where it`s from, but a 250g tin cost me 4.50 quid about 6 year ago, not at all expensive considering that a little goes a LONG WAY! :)

I think I'll go and check a local paint shop out tomorrow. The times I've been in such stores, I haven't really seen any aluminum powder. Might be a) not looking carefully enough b) they don't have any. I think it's used in boat painting or something...