Element collecting

Gilded

Holy jumping mother of God! They go crazier and crazier. Large slab of pure U-238 is starting to get to the level of "keep it as far from me as possible", even when considering the depl. U's long half-life. I wonder what's up with those costs though... RGB sells ampouled 0.5g samples for 95$, and that's freaking 3500$. The kg price of depleted uranium is only a couple of hundred bucks when buying in bulk. Same goes for thorium. I guess it's just the price between entire nations or so, when tons of the stuff are bought. :P

Edit: THAT ****ING DOES IT! I checked which chemicals they have added (since it was a long time since I checked Un. Nuclear since they don't deliver outside US anymore), and guess what: they sell hexamine. As if I weren't mad enough already with Americans having access to all sorts of fun chemicals. >:/

"or most chemical suppliers sell it why do you want it anyway"

It's used to make certain... stuff, that were mentioned in a certain and recent thread by YT. :) No more about that, as we're not supposed to talk about them. :P

That price for the uranium is borderline illegal. (It's like they're charging a few thousand dollars for a slug of copper). Depleted Uranium is actually VERY inexpensive, so they are charging far, far, far, far, far more than it's actual value. Anyone who would pay that exorbinant price would have to be a total freaking retard.

"or most chemical suppliers sell it why do you want it anyway"

It's used to make certain... stuff' date=' that were mentioned in a certain and recent thread by YT. :) No more about that, as we're not supposed to talk about them. :P[/quote']

RDX or HMTD no doubt!

well good luck! RDX is alot harder than you think and HMTD can bite you in the ass when you least expect it!

I really hope you know ALL of it`s incompatibles, miss one any you`ll be typing with stumps!

"RDX or HMTD no doubt!"

Yeah, as I said before, I personally have no intention of making any of those. Nor TCAP, DDNP, MEKP or HMX. I think enough people have died making them, and I don't want to be the next member in the club.

Oh dear god I am so happy right now!!!!!!!!!!!! :D I had to run to the bank a little while ago to deposit a check I was given, and while waiting in line there was this nice little old lady there. She started talking to me and said that she was there to exchange some old coins her late husband had. She didn't think they were worth too much and wanted to get some paper money to give to her neighbor's child for her birthday. She showed me the coins and they were two old american 2.5 dollar gold coins. I had some cash in my hand and she asked me if I'd be willing to exchange them so she didn't have to wait in line. I of course said yes and she just said thank you and got on her way. By the weight of the coins and their condition, they're real! So I just spent five bucks and got some incredibly beautiful gold coins! :D Wow I was lucky. These buggers are going into a safe and not my element collection. But I have been downright lucky with my gold lately. I have a few really nice gold coins now, and a nice big vial nearly full of gold nuggets, some gold bullion coins, and some pure gold bars. I love how heavy this stuff is! :D

Tee-Hee. :D Sorry, but these two are staying with me. Sometimes you can get lucky if you're in the right place at the right time. I didn't go out of my way to take advantage of the situation, the situation just kind of came to me. I wasn't going to say no to it. I can only imagine the finds that bank tellers see when people come in to exchange old coins. As far as the bank is concerned, as long as they get face value they don't care what the tellers do. I've heard stories of bank tellers exchanging hundreds upon hundreds of silver dollars and whatnot from uninformed customers, and the tellers just give the bank the face value of the coins and take the coins.

About the uranium again

"Depleted Uranium is actually VERY inexpensive"

You're absolutely right about that. As I said, uranium and thorium are the nasty metals that are cheap, plenty, yet a private individual has hard time trying to acquire them. :) I guess most nations would be glad to give some of their thorium away, yet they can't (or shouldn't at least, because of the international regulations). :P

• 3 months later...

Thought this would be a good time to bring this thread back from the dead. Today i start my element collection! A parcel just arrived with:

Mercury

Tantalum

Antimony

Bismuth

Chronium

Tungsten

Ytterbium

Calcium

Germanium

Zinc

Magnesium

Manganese

will post pics later. hows everyone getting along with there collection aswell?

I don't think I have spent a whole lot of money on samples that where solely for the element collection. I have about 30 elements and I think I have spent less than 100UDS.

I think jdurg has spent waaaaaay more than me though, he always has a way bigger collection.

I recall currently having (if I don't count the radioactive decay trace buggers) 36 element samples (of +99% purity). And I think I've invested about 500 euros in them. And since I already have palladium, gold, iridium and some other rather expensive samples, it's safe to say that element collecting is way cheaper than golf. ;)

(Btw, sorry for neglecting SFN for several weeks now. :( Nothing beats the interest in science out of a person better than Finnish high school. :) )