Why does everybody write so well in their posts?

There are really two key factors in choosing how to write:

1) Courtesy to others

2) Self interest

When someone posts on a forum, they are asking people to spend some of their free time reading it, assessing it, and possibly responding to it. Making the process as simple and effective as possible shows courtesy and value for the time others volunteer.

Secondarily it's always good to know what your goal is in any act of communication, and try to maximize that effect. If you want to convey a sense of a casual or lackadaisical musing between friends, and you know your target audience is "lol-friendly" it could improve the communication to use some of those shorthand emotes. However that is not generally the case in a science-centric forum like this.

I have noticed posts move towards friendly side-conversations (often appearing within politics posts, and helpful for humanizing opponents and defusing tensions) will utilize "ROFL" or "LMAO" and the like with more frequency, but most of the time the goal is to communicate a complex argument, counter-argument or concept which is just not conducive to casual conventions.

As a note: I definitely spend a lot of time trying to rewrite my posts before I submit, and I think it really helps. It's not just spelling and grammar, but I find by the time I am nearly done writing a post I'll have stumbled on many ways to optimize the text. I think it's generally worth while to do so, because good habits never go to waste. Same with spelling and grammar - my grammar is especially bad, but I always use the built-in spellchecker and correct red-underlined words if they are available.

Efficiency is part of the equation in doing anything well so it's not worth loosing a day over minor improvements, but if you are taking the time to do something anyway, it's always worthwhile to take the opportunity to do it as well as possible - it's free practice and can only raise one's skill.

As a note: I definitely spend a lot of time trying to rewrite my posts before I submit, and I think it really helps. It's not just spelling and grammar, but I find by the time I am nearly done writing a post I'll have stumbled on many ways to optimize the text. I think it's generally worth while to do so, because good habits never go to waste. Same with spelling and grammar - my grammar is especially bad, but I always use the built-in spellchecker and correct red-underlined words if they are available.

Agreed. It's not just syntax and style that benefit from good editing; I often find that, halfway through a post, I've thought up new arguments and points to make, and previous points should be edited to make the post cohesive and persuasive -- or removed entirely, as I often realize that I've made a point irrelevant by making a new argument.

After all, a post that leverages multiple arguments together to make one strong point is more effective than a post hurling a few disparate arguments and hoping one or two will stick.

Editing is, indeed, important. I like the story attributed to Mark Twain. He wrote a friend an eight page letter which ended with this note.

"I apologise for this long letter. I had intended to write you only two pages, but I did not have enough time."

My God!. You mean there is a chance for us hill folk to converse with you low landers without sounding sterile? Kidding of course. I probably take more time proofing what I've said, than what I said. Read all of your inputs and can't match a one of them.

Editing is, indeed, important. I like the story attributed to Mark Twain. He wrote a friend an eight page letter which ended with this note.

"I apologise for this long letter. I had intended to write you only two pages, but I did not have enough time."

Condense.....until you can condense no more. Love that quote Ophiolite, it's new one to me.

Just reading through the last few days of this thread - BTW "two peoples separated by a common language." - was George Bernard Shaw.

But when you translate George Bernard Shaw into American English, it comes up as Winston Churchill.

Just reading through the last few days of this thread - BTW "two peoples separated by a common language." - was George Bernard Shaw.

But it may have been nicked from this:

"Oscar Wilde claimed that "the Americans and the British are identical in all respects except, of course, their language"

:P

But, dear Oscar was "a bit of a one" for recycling other people's bons mots; when Whistler made a particularly clever remark Wilde reportedly said "I wish I had said that", Whistler retorted "You will, Oscar, you will"

Yes, I read that as well. True originality is a rare beast it would seem.

Edited by StringJunky