Very simple question about cytoskeleton?

scilearner

Hello everyone,

Ok I know the cytoskeleton of a cell are proteins and they maintain the structure of the cell. I have an idea what it is but can anyone explain it simply. I just want to see if what I understood is correct. For example if I think of it a skeleton and muscle as phospholipid membrane. Does the phospholipid membrane follow the shape of the cytoskeleton. Thanks :)

Edited by scilearner

The "muscle" would be actin, although there are also motor proteins that drag stuff along the "microtubule highway". The shape of the membrane can indeed change such as with amoeboid pseudopods, which actin is involved in moving.

• 2 months later...

The concept of cytoskeleton = bony framework and phospholipid membrane = muscles will not apply to the case of skeleton of cells. Actually the phospho lipid membrane can be considered as a part of the skeletal system of a cell because if performs all the functions of a skeleton such as Protection, shape, stability, support etc. (in addition to its special functions). One thing you should know about cytoskeleton is that they do not give the special appearance to cell. It is the role of cell membrane. They may play a little role in the shape of cell as a whole but the role is little and cell will not get its shape without the cell membrane but it will get its shape without the cytoskeleton. The actual role of cytoskeleton is the organization of cell's internal structure and this is some times confused with shape of the cell. Organization of Cell's internal structure means that how the organelles of the cell will be distributed within the cell. The organelles remain at their position because of the cytoskeleton and thus the structure of the cell is kept organized.

An analogy with skeleton and muscles is probably not very helpful, as the cytoskeleton itself is involved in movement. Actin is involved in maintaining cell shape as well as movement, as pointed out above. Microtubuli are also participating in cell shape, but also are part of intracellular molecular movements. Membranes and cell walls are also elements of cell stability, and so on.