Kerry needs to be respected

bloodhound

I cannot comprehend some of the american people out there. Whatever may have happened in Vietnam, it is a fact that Kerry willingly laid his life on the line for his country while some chose not to. Kerry should be respected for that and his hearts and medals. I saw some people in the RNC wearing band-aids with purple heart on them. and claiming that they cut themself while shaving and they deserved a purple heart. Found that outstanding. and What I find more outstanding is that Kerry is on the defensive about his war record. Its a fact that he chose to fight in vietnam. Wheter that would make him a good or a bad president is another matter altogether. But Kerry deserves Respect for his war record, and not the mud slinging that is coming from the other side. Its a bit like throwing rocks at people from a glass house.

They are his medals, he can do whatever he likes with them. At least he didn't ask daddy to protect him from the nasty draft, then go awol like a complete pussy*.

*that's the right word for a coward, isn't it? There may be a better word for an alcholic drug abusing rich brat who avoids military service.

I couldn't agree with you more. I was shocked at the people at the republican convention with purple hearts drawn on their band-aids. Kerry fought in that war, and was injured fighting for our contry and deserves respect for that. Obviously, people who could be that disrespectful have never served in the army, or known someone who has served. And now some people dislike Kerry for speaking out against some of the actions in Vietnam? Many soldiers did. There were some very awful things happening over there, mainly the massacering of innocent citizens.

And the fact that a man like Bush is speaking against Kerry's war record is just annoying. Someone who never fought, and never even showed up for his simple duties. What gives Bush the right to say anything against somebody who actaully had the guts to join the army and go to war?

Kerrys injurys accourding to Louis Letson, doctor at Cam Ranh Bay who treated him.

I have a very clear memory of an incident which occurred while I was the Medical Officer at Naval Support Facility, Cam Ranh Bay.

John Kerry was a (jg), the OinC or skipper of a Swift boat, newly arrived in Vietnam. On the night of December 2, he was on patrol north of Cam Ranh, up near Nha Trang area. The next day he came to sick bay, the medical facility, for treatment of a wound that had occurred that night.

The story he told was different from what his crewmen had to say about that night. According to Kerry, they had been engaged in a fire fight, receiving small arms fire from on shore. He said that his injury resulted from this enemy action.

Some of his crew confided that they did not receive any fire from shore, but that Kerry had fired a mortar round at close range to some rocks on shore. The crewman thought that the injury was caused by a fragment ricocheting from that mortar round when it struck the rocks.

That seemed to fit the injury which I treated.

What I saw was a small piece of metal sticking very superficially in the skin of Kerry's arm. The metal fragment measured about 1 cm. in length and was about 2 or 3 mm in diameter. It certainly did not look like a round from a rifle.

I simply removed the piece of metal by lifting it out of the skin with forceps. I doubt that it penetrated more than 3 or 4 mm. It did not require probing to find it, did not require any anesthesia to remove it, and did not require any sutures to close the wound.

The wound was covered with a bandaid.

Not [sic] other injuries were reported and I do not recall that there was any reported damage to the boat.

Source = http://www.nationalreview.com/york/york200405041626.asp

We Are not debating the cause or the seriousness of his injuries. I am just saying that Kerry deserves the respect cos he put his life on line for his country. Who knows what could have happened in vietnam. Would u have respected him more if he lost a arm or a leg?

the injuries kerry sustained are irrelevant. what's relevant is that kerry served his country while bush chose not to. what's even more relevant are the records of the two; kerry realized that vietnam was a horrible unjustified war and stood up for the truth while bush got stoned. now kerry is going to replace bush, the worst president in history, and (in my opinion) the worst thing that's happened to the world since stalin

If you want to be President, don't fight in a war. Candidates with war experience don't have the best track record.

I think in this particular instance, Kerry can use this to his advantage - simply because Bush went awol and he didn't. But for some reason, his campaign is just sucking generally atm.

Kerry is probably hoping for a knockout in the debates. Although Bush sucks as a debater, I doubt they will have many questions to trip him up. His platform and answers are pretty simple: "I say what I mean, I mean what I say", "stay the course", etc.

Almost anyone compared to Bush will be seen as "wishy-washy" (actually they are just being thoughtful sometimes).

He has an uphill battle, because people really think Bush is the best person to fight terrorism.

Indeed, Kerry does deserve respect for what he did. It was one delegate at the RNC handing out the bandaids, and they were quickly and promptly repromanded. Kerry's service also earned an applause at the RNC.

The reason this is becoming a big issue is because Kerry has made it an issue. Kerry is the one emphasizing his war record. Kerry is the one who keeps saying, "When I served in Vietnam, " etc. Do you expect he should able to say whatever he wants regardless of whether or not it's true and not be questioned on it? Some people do cross the line when questioning his service record, I agree. If he's lying about it, that's an important issue because he is supposed to lead our country.

At least he didn't ask daddy to protect him from the nasty draft, then go awol like a complete pussy*.

Could you provide a source for both of those accusations? Wasn't the AWOL thing cleared up?

And the fact that a man like Bush is speaking against Kerry's war record is just annoying. Someone who never fought, and never even showed up for his simple duties. What gives Bush the right to say anything against somebody who actaully had the guts to join the army and go to war?

Care to provide support? Bush praises Kerry's service.

what's relevant is that kerry served his country while bush chose not to.
So joining the Air National Guard is not serving your country?

As to the OP, I agree. Kerry deserves respect.

Bush ran a very ugly campaign against McCain in South Carolina. Had some similarity to the Kerry attacks. "Others" doing the attacks, Bush saying nothing against the attacks. The big attack on McCain was he might be a "loose cannon" from the effects of being a POW. Not sensitive enough? is that what they meant?

The reason this is becoming a big issue is because Kerry has made it an issue. Kerry is the one emphasizing his war record. Kerry is the one who keeps saying, "When I served in Vietnam, " etc. Do you expect he should able to say whatever he wants regardless of whether or not it's true and not be questioned on it? Some people do cross the line when questioning his service record, I agree. If he's lying about it, that's an important issue because he is supposed to lead our country.

Kerry is making a big deal of his service because Bush is making a big deal of the 911/Iraq thing. He's trying to get across the point to your average American that Bush is quite frankly incompetent and has lead your country up the creek without a paddle as well as alienating America from the world as a whole.

It's also blatently obvious that this was going to come into question, but these rumours have all been started by far-right groups that probably have some funding from certain Republican politicans in a bid to discredit him.

There's an interesting site to George Bush's supposed AWOLness, but to be quite honest I don't think it's particularly brilliant proof. I do, however, believe that he managed to skip some service because of his dad, proof or not.

Could you provide a source for both of those accusations? Wasn't the AWOL thing cleared up?

I don't really want to open a discussion on it' date=' because it doesn't seem to have firm evidence either way and I was just being flippant. So far as I can see, it's Bush's word against his commanding officers. As Bush proceded to go off the rails with alchohol and drug abuse, I'd lean towards the CO's point of view rather than the alchoholic son of a powerful senator and CIA chief of staff. Right now, it's rather a matter of opinion.

So joining the Air National Guard is not serving your country?

No, not during the Vietnam conflict it's not. At least it wasn't seen that way at the time, which I suppose is what counts. It was very much seen as an easy ride, with no combat risk. It's not so much serving your country as hiding behind it's skirts.

Personally I think everyone should just put this stuff to rest. Kerry went to Vietnam and Bush served in the Air National Guard. They both served honorably. Let’s just leave it at that and concentrate on the issues. America is acting like elementary kids throwing rocks at each other.