sharing dreams

ztee

What we would find is that the dream symbols tend to fall into basic categories. This is due to the collective unconscious. There are basic human propensities common to all humans, similar to the way an animal species has common traits. With humans this is more elaborate with the symbols in dreams telling which are which.

For example, when animals appear in dreams they indicate our instincts. We all have instincts. There can be friendly or hostile animals, depending on our relation to instinct. Different animals are often connected to various instincts.

There are also intelligent animals, like in fairy tales, such as a talking rabbit. These can be helpful or hurtful. The extra human characteristic added to an animal is implicit of a human modification of natural instinct. When Alice in Wonderland follows the talking rabbit, she is following her instincts, but not natural instinct. This causes her get into all types of trouble.

Besides symbols, colors and shapes also have meaning. The white rabbit of Alice in Wonderland, implies a pure animal (white). Rabbits are fertility symbols, so this instinct has a connection to sexuality, with the talking white rabbit, maybe connected to her religious virginity. The rabbit always checking his clock and saying he is late, could be analogous to her biological clock, way before science labeled this.

Edited by pioneer

• 2 months later...

I interpreted the question differently. The democratic government of the US was a shared dream. We seem to have loecome discouraged with the dream, as we understand voting as a fight among people with conflicting interest, instead of shared reasoning that lifts the human potential.

However, I agree with Pioneer about shared consciousness and symbols.

Some research on dreaming and telepathy has been done.

http://www.esalenctr.org/display/confpage.cfm?confid=5&pageid=62&pgtype=1

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Edited by Athena

However, I agree with Pioneer about shared consciousness and symbols.

Some research on dreaming and telepathy has been done.

http://www.esalenctr.org/display/confpage.cfm?confid=5&pageid=62&pgtype=1

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

From your link:

"At this point in the discussion, Stuart Kauffman shared a poignant story that supports much of what Schlitz is trying to demonstrate in her research. Kauffman related that several years ago while living in Philadelphia, he had a striking image of his own daughter walking down the middle of a road and being struck by a car that crushed her. It was a stunning image that stopped him in his tracks and made him very concerned for his daughter. About a month later around the time of Halloween, his daughter died in a way that was strikingly similar to the image that he had seen. To this day, Kauffman is not sure how to explain this shocking experience. Was it clairvoyant or telepathic? He is not sure. But what Kauffman did offer is that time might have some kind of structure that we have not even begun to understand.

Kauffman’s story seemed to open up the floor to some wilder explorations. Jenny Wade speculated openly and intuitively that if the quantum realm reveals non-local phenomenon, then perhaps our brains are capable of being quantum processors. We are capable of picking up a small piece of quantum information and then turning that into an image, just as Kauffman had seen the image of his daughter even though it had not happened yet."

Sounds like time travel.

Dreams are a natural output product of the brain. To understand what these represent takes training. As an analogy, if the layman saw the spectral data from a star, it would look like a bunch of lines that have no significance to them. But to someone who is trained to understand this output, it tells many things. Unfortuneately in science, the laymen appear to have the final say when to comes to dream data, so this natural science appears to be hogwash.

Say we decided to use this approach for astromony. We will let the biologists layman tell us if all those lines and colors means anything and then use that advice to stir the direction of research. I suppose astromony would look irrational now, since the laymen are in charge.

Putting the layman aside, if you research and study this output enough there are patterns that appear. Many of these patterns are collective in nature, providing a way for individual dreams to reflect what the group is unconsciously thinking or feeling. President Obama had his dream that moved the crowd, but his lack of interpretation skills messed up the intent. Now we have a new collective dream, which hopefully is better interpretted so it reflects the unconscious intent.

This approach is not new. Primitive cultures gave special significance to key dreams. They tended to use the raw data from the actual dream, which is often mythological, instead of an interpretation by laymen who try to force the dream along personal lines.

Edited by pioneer

• 4 months later...

So, I've been having dreams where something happens, it may just be a person i know laughing or somebody running in front of me, then I forget about it and later in the day or later that week, it happens. people keep telling me it's just dejavou but it really doesn't seem like it. Am I right , is it not dejavou? Or am I completely crazy? I've also been able to remember parts of my dreams better too.

Awesomeone, in a science forum you can check your perceptions without any doubt, at least for yourself. Simply post your dreams as they occur and then wait to see if anything comes true. This will help you decide for yourself, but this wouldn't provide evidence for the rest of us because we all have no idea who you are or what your agenda is. Give it a shot. SM

• 1 month later...

From your link:

"At this point in the discussion, Stuart Kauffman shared a poignant story that supports much of what Schlitz is trying to demonstrate in her research. Kauffman related that several years ago while living in Philadelphia, he had a striking image of his own daughter walking down the middle of a road and being struck by a car that crushed her. It was a stunning image that stopped him in his tracks and made him very concerned for his daughter. About a month later around the time of Halloween, his daughter died in a way that was strikingly similar to the image that he had seen. To this day, Kauffman is not sure how to explain this shocking experience. Was it clairvoyant or telepathic? He is not sure. But what Kauffman did offer is that time might have some kind of structure that we have not even begun to understand.

Kauffman’s story seemed to open up the floor to some wilder explorations. Jenny Wade speculated openly and intuitively that if the quantum realm reveals non-local phenomenon, then perhaps our brains are capable of being quantum processors. We are capable of picking up a small piece of quantum information and then turning that into an image, just as Kauffman had seen the image of his daughter even though it had not happened yet."

Sounds like time travel.

It makes you wonder whether there is a God, or whether we are living in an artificial world like in The Matrix. I guess that isn't the most scientifical explanation though.

I experience this phenomenon of dream anticipation of future reality all the time, but it is of no real use in waking experience, since the connections between my dream material and my waking life are only clear after the corresponding events occur in the waking state.

But I wonder if there is a natural way to explain these apparently mysterious coincidences? For example, of the thousands of things we dream in any given week, we forget all those which are not confirmed by later, waking experience, but we do remember those which are, so we seem to be getting more hits than is actually the case. Also, there are no clear rules about what counts as a hit, so a merely symbolic link between dream and waking experiences, or a link between the two on the basis of some very minor detail common to both, is also allowed to count, and this may exaggerate the apprarent prevalence of hits. Another factor, first noted by Poisson, to consider is that there are always many more pairs in any collection of items than the number of items would suggest, and this too statistically inflates apparent coincidences. Thus in a group of just 23 people there is a 50% chance that two people will have the same birth date (month and day), even though there are 365 items to be matched. Also, there are no clear rules about when the dream 'predictions' have to be confirmed, and there is no set time span during which the non-occurrence of the confirmation counts as a disconfirmation, the system is prejudiced in favor of finding confirmations. Finally, given the vagueness of remembered dream images, perhaps we count too many near misses as hits, since the permissible breadth of the similarity space for matching the dream images with real world images is not precisely fixed.