Hydrogen Peroxide

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyway.... going back to why i made this thread... i once saw an experiment with it where they added H2O2 to something, or added something to H2O2 and anyway it all rapidly and i mean VERY RAPIDLY expanded itself (not blowing up) like when sodium sulfide (Na2S) is added to silver nitrate (AgNO3) expect A LOT quicker and more powerful and the expansion lasted for a long time.

that was quite a cool experiment... a little bit of that and a little bit of this (H2O2 in there somewhere) and it all did a woosh everywhere.

anyhow thats where i first ever heard of hydrogen peroxides and ive wanted to know how to do that... any ideas?

im confused with that oxy hydrogen link apartus and set out thingy.

its electrolysis of potassium hydroxide (KOH?) what exactly is produced from that? O and H? and then why the water?

infact surely electrolysis of pure H2O would have the same effect?

its electrolysis of water, the koH is there to help

how did you get that one?

by looks of that diagram the KOH is electrolysised and then the gasses are sent through a tube which randomly happens to pass through water, then the gass is released into the water and then collected.

surgical tubing doesnt normally conduct electricity to electrolysise the water and the electricity doesnt even go there, seemingly all electrical activity stops after it elecrolysises the KOH as it cannot travel up the side of (presumably) glass KOH container.

so why the KOH?

the extra tubing leads to a copper tubing under water this is so

1. you can see the gas coming off

2. the very important one so it does not get ignited by electrical or static charge while the oxy-hydrogen is being produced

3. so you can collect the mixture

the extra tubing leads to a copper tubing under water this is so

1. you can see the gas coming off

2. the very important one so it does not get ignited by electrical or static charge while the oxy-hydrogen is being produced

3. so you can collect the mixture

Probably to keep it from exploding when you burn the gas.

that's true in away but do not burn the mixture while it is still being produced it will cause an explosion sending caustic liquid every where it tell's you this in the writing

Edit: but either way have fun if you are going to make it, but make it safely

Probably to keep it from exploding when you burn the gas.

that's true in away but do not burn the mixture while it is still being produced it will cause an explosion sending caustic liquid every where it tell's you this in the writing

Edit: but either way have fun if you are going to make it, but make it safely

Its the exact same thing. It just sounds catchy that way.

when you have a load of hydrogen and oxygen together its not that dangerous!

"Of course this gas is too dangerous to be of any practical use, but who wants to be practical ALL of the time?" -- http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/

they make it sound really bad, buts its nothing that bad, just explodes violently if ignited, its not like getting cesium or something!

i spose they dont just electrolysise pure H2O because its not a very good conductor.

Its the exact same thing. It just sounds catchy that way.

when you have a load of hydrogen and oxygen together its not that dangerous!

"Of course this gas is too dangerous to be of any practical use, but who wants to be practical ALL of the time?" -- http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/

they make it sound really bad, buts its nothing that bad, just explodes violently if ignited, its not like getting cesium or something!

i spose they dont just electrolysise pure H2O because its not a very good conductor.

it's not that dangerous in small quantites but it is dangerous in large quantities, also if you think about it the liquid form is used as rocket fuel so that gives some idea as to how powerfull it is

Note: when i say liquid form i dont mean water i mean eg liquid nitrogen, liquid oxygen the very cold liquid

it's not that dangerous in small quantites but it is dangerous in large quantities, also if you think about it the liquid form is used as rocket fuel so that gives some idea as to how powerfull it is

Note: when i say liquid form i dont mean water i mean eg liquid nitrogen, liquid oxygen the very cold liquid