My Design for my Research/experiment Project

Hitman47

Hi, I'm given a research project to do in my chemistry class. I need to get the idea off the newspaper or science article off a magazine. Currently I've been reading Scientific American about the possible causes of suicide and why people decide to kill themselves year after year.

In the article it states about that some brains of people that died from suicide suggest they had low serotonin levels in the brain to depression, aggresive behavior and a tendency toward impulsiveness, but all this is confusing towards suicide, because numbers of studies have found reductions in serotonin in the brains of suicides, whereas others have not. Some have observed a lack of serotonin in one part of the brain but not elsewhere, so its confusing if suicde dealts with the serotonin system in the brain.

This interested alot in me and I really liked reading the article. I think I can design an experiment dealing with the serotonin system and suicide.

I need an experiment on this, any suggestions? I'm not going to do the actual experiment, but research it and construct a hypothesis and a two possible outcomes of the experiment.

And the materials if done has to be from a normal chemistry class lab.

Any ideas for the experiment and thesis statement title for the research project?

Not sure exactly what you can do for an experiment. For this type of project research is usually conducted through data collection and compilation, and post mortem brain examination. Its quite unethical to bring in future suicide candidates to measure their brain chemical levels :)

You don't need to call in suicidal people specifically, but rather severely depressed people.

However, I believe serotonin concentration differentials are consequential anyway; that is, whatever is causing depression is causing changes in serotonin, and serotonin is not causing depression, as this is an extremely common neurotransmitter with effects ranging from normal cell functions to acid trips.

well thanks for the suggestions :) , but im not going to do the experiment but just design one and form a hypothesis and 2 things that can happen.

Thats all. :eek:

but is the title of my research project good: "According to serotin levels in brains of suicidal people, does serotin levels have an effect in suicidal people?"

Is that good? :D

And remeber Im not going to do the actual experiment but form what can happen in the experiment.

If I do this experiment what equipment would I need:

1. safety glasses

2.gloves

3. Suicidal People's brains

4. Brains of people that died from other causes

what else?

and im going to present this to scientists from IBM and teachers from my district.

Originally posted by Hitman47

Currently I've been reading Scientific American about the possible causes of suicide and why people decide to kill themselves year after year.

Generally, people decide to kill themselves only once.

In the article it also states that Lithium seems to lower depression and suicidal behaviors in people decrease

can i form an experiment out of that?

here is what i was thinking to do with lithium:

- lets test Lithium and if it reduces depression and suicidal behaviors in people, we put depressed people in one room and another room filled with other depressed people. And do a placebo effect in it. We give one group lithium while the other is fake and see their behaviors and X-ray their brains and see what happens and maybe test serotonin level in the brains and compare.

sound good?

Originally posted by fafalone

There's a law on the books that makes suicide illegal. People have actually been criminally charged with attempted suicide.

In the UK, suicide was illegal. In the Victorian era it was in fact a capital offence. Anyone found attempting suicide could be sentenced to death and hanged. (I swear this is true).

In the article it also states that Lithium seems to lower depression and suicidal behaviors in people decrease

Lithium is not effective on depression. It is effective only on bipolar disorders. The drug interventions for depression are generally things like MAOIs (monoamine-oxidase inhibitors), tricyclics and specific 5-HT reuptake inhibitors (e.g. fluoxetine).

However, I believe serotonin concentration differentials are consequential anyway; that is, whatever is causing depression is causing changes in serotonin, and serotonin is not causing depression

You have a point here, but it depends on your point of veiw. It could be argued that it is a set and cyclic pattern of negative affective thought and maladaptive behaviours that causes depression and reduction in 5-HT levels is a result of this. On the other hand, on the basis that the most common and effective chemical interventions for depression are drugs which elevate 5-HT levels, it could be argued that it is the reduction in 5-HT levels which cause depression, and that depressed affect results from this, leading to a cyclic pattern of negative thoughts.

In reality, it is probably a combination of both, and the key lies in understanding the nature of the interaction between physiological and psychological factors that results in depressive disorders.

Re the experiment: Whilst it may not practical to attempt to measure 5-HT levels in the brains of suicide victims, a major metabolite of 5-HT, 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA) is found in cerebrospinal fluid and is used to determine 5-HT levels in the central nervous system. There is a consistent body of data showing a relationship between low levels of 5-HIAA in the CSF and depressive disorders. CSF is easy to obtain from both living and dead people, so you might want to use this as your measure.

Originally posted by Hitman47

Hi, I'm given a research project to do in my chemistry class. I need to get the idea off the newspaper or science article off a magazine. Currently I've been reading Scientific American about the possible causes of suicide and why people decide to kill themselves year after year.

In the article it states about that some brains of people that died from suicide suggest they had low serotonin levels in the brain to depression, aggresive behavior and a tendency toward impulsiveness, but all this is confusing towards suicide, because numbers of studies have found reductions in serotonin in the brains of suicides, whereas others have not. Some have observed a lack of serotonin in one part of the brain but not elsewhere, so its confusing if suicde dealts with the serotonin system in the brain.

This interested alot in me and I really liked reading the article. I think I can design an experiment dealing with the serotonin system and suicide.

I need an experiment on this, any suggestions? I'm not going to do the actual experiment, but research it and construct a hypothesis and a two possible outcomes of the experiment.

And the materials if done has to be from a normal chemistry class lab.

Any ideas for the experiment and thesis statement title for the research project?

whatever you do, don't "repeat" someone elses experiment, make it uniquely interesting to the teacher ;-)