Strange forum behaviour

Ah, good. So here's what happened: I adjusted the layout of posts, moving the user title down below the avatar and re-aligning the post username. However, since everything was "floated" to the left or right in the blue bar, browsers thought the bar had no actual content -- they doesn't count floats toward content. I didn't notice this because staff have an IP listing in each post, which counted to make the bar have content. To fix this, I added an invisible empty box that still took up space, which forced the blue bar to be big enough to fit usernames. Unfortunately, on Internet Explorer this invisible empty box forced everything else down and out of the blue bar, screwing up post layout.

Moral of the story: Internet Explorer is evil.

Well, you obviously changed something again, because "SFN" style is back to the same problem I mentioned in the OP (exactly like the screenshot). "-- SFN Blue" is fine.

I am using Firefox.

Edit: Actually, a forced refresh worked for me too. Strange how the problem came back though.

Edited by Severian

It seems to be working now. It didn't reset the clock from this morning.

Now it's back. Got all new posts from my last login, rather than all unread posts.

And there's the random "what the font?" behavior D H saw

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/51307-why-do-people-deny-anthropogenic-global-warming/page__view__findpost__p__560153

Also, the login timeout on the blogs is still a problem. Even if the forum is open in a tab, I get logged out after ~5 minutes and have to refresh the forum page to save or edit my blog posts. The forum logs me in automatically, so is it possible the blogs aren't accessing the same cookies?

I made a change or two, and I cannot reproduce this problem. I don't know if that means it's fixed or not. If you experience it agan, give me as much detail as you can: how long ago you visited the forum, what you were doing on your blog, and so on.

I made a change or two, and I cannot reproduce this problem. I don't know if that means it's fixed or not. If you experience it agan, give me as much detail as you can: how long ago you visited the forum, what you were doing on your blog, and so on.

Composing a new post, forums just opened in another tab (if I don't open SFN, I cannot access any of my admin pages) After 5 minutes the bottom of the editing window (where it gives the word count) says ALERT: You are logged out! Could not save draft. Please log in again.

Have you gotten out when visiting any other pages? For example, you click to edit a post after a few minutes away, and you come back logged out?

Have you noticed problems when, say, adding a category while editing a post?

Yes, I've gotten logged out of the blog while visiting other pages (to copy/paste, for example). I can't recall if this has happened specifically while adding a category.

Yes, I've gotten logged out of the blog while visiting other pages (to copy/paste, for example). I can't recall if this has happened specifically while adding a category.

Do you check "Remember me" when you log in to SFN usually?

After I make this post, I'm going to avoid SFN for ten or twenty minutes, then try to visit my blog.

Do you check "Remember me" when you log in to SFN usually?

After I make this post, I'm going to avoid SFN for ten or twenty minutes, then try to visit my blog.

Yes — when I load the SFN page, I am logged in automatically. When I try to access any of my blog admin pages that I have bookmarked I am told I do not have access, unless I have just opened up SFN in another tab.

When I wasn't logged in I'd get dumped to an error page, but in the last few days this has changed, and it sends me to the SFN page instead.

I just realized what's going on, and I'm surprised I didn't catch it earlier. It's based off the session timeout on the forums -- probably 15 minutes, I think.

Unfortunately, I'm moving back to the dorms tomorrow morning, but next time I have a chance I'll rewrite the integration code.

Can't access blogs

Warning: require(/www/area52.scienceforums.net/html/adminsources/base/core.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/area52.scienceforums.net/html/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 372

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/www/area52.scienceforums.net/html/adminsources/base/core.php' (include_path=':/usr/share/php/libzend-framework-php') in /www/area52.scienceforums.net/html/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 372

———

Individual post gives:

Incorrect access

You cannot access this file directly. If you have recently upgraded, make sure you upgraded all the relevant files.

Accessing other blogs gives a 404 error

Indeed. Fixed now, might be broken again as I try to fix logins properly.

Okay. Assuming I did this correctly, blog logins should be working, and you should be remembered for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Please verify that you can visit your own blog admin page, and that you cannot visit mine:

http://blogs.scienceforums.net/capn/wp-admin/

Indeed. Fixed now, might be broken again as I try to fix logins properly.

Okay. Assuming I did this correctly, blog logins should be working, and you should be remembered for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Please verify that you can visit your own blog admin page, and that you cannot visit mine:

http://blogs.scienceforums.net/capn/wp-admin/

That redirects me to my admin page.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn. And your Search Settings under My Settings are definitely set to the other option?

I think View New Content has had persistent issues that IPS just can't reproduce, so they haven't successfully fixed anything. If you can determine any useful details about when this happens, if there's any common factor, etc., that'd be very helpful to track this bug down.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn. And your Search Settings under My Settings are definitely set to the other option?

I think View New Content has had persistent issues that IPS just can't reproduce, so they haven't successfully fixed anything. If you can determine any useful details about when this happens, if there's any common factor, etc., that'd be very helpful to track this bug down.

It's happened again, but I don't know of any useful details, other than it seems to happen every 9 or 10 days thus far.

FYI, I'm getting around the RSS problem for scheduled posts by editing the posts after they appear, if I remember to do so.

It's happened again, but I don't know of any useful details, other than it seems to happen every 9 or 10 days thus far.

FYI, I'm getting around the RSS problem for scheduled posts by editing the posts after they appear, if I remember to do so.

Agh. View New Content has some serious problems. There are bug reports about them, but many are closed as "Cannot Reproduce" since they're so intermittent. One person reported that his search settings kept reverting to the default option, rather than keeping all unread topics.

I need to track down the RSS problem. I add the post to the RSS feed when WordPress fires the "publish_post" action, which apparently doesn't include scheduled posts...