Our Nation's Education

George W. Bush

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Glider

Hmmm...in my experience, the real fools are those who believe they know too much to have to study.

I think the really clever ones are those who realise that however clever they are, they still have to put the time in.

You know there are people out there who dont need to put as much time and effort to be the best.

They are called naturals and they can also have a social life. :toilet:

Originally posted by RED FIRE COW

You know there are people out there who dont need to put as much time and effort to be the best.They are called naturals and they can also have a social life. :toilet:

True. What's your point?

Not at all. Here, have another go:

Hmmm...in my experience, the real fools are those who believe they know too much to have to study.

In other words, anybody who thinks they are too clever to have to put any time and effort into the study of a subject they want or need to understand is a fool, whether or not they are intelligent.

I think the really clever ones are those who realise that however clever they are, they still have to put the time in.

The 'naturals' to whom you refer, generally fall into this category.

To summarise: Nobody is born 'imprinted' with knowledge. All knowledge must therefore be learned. It doesn't matter how intelligent you are, this requires some time and a degree of effort. The wiser realise this and tend to apply themselves (this includes the 'naturals'). The fools tend to think they are too clever to have to put in time or effort to such a menial task as learning, thus, regardless of their intelligence they remain ignorant.

It is the waste of such potential that is foolish.

Originally posted by Glider

The fools tend to think they are too clever to have to put in time or effort to such a menial task as learning, thus, regardless of their intelligence they remain ignorant.

It is the waste of such potential that is foolish.

I see this happen way to much. A friend of mine just dropped out of highschool, practically throwing his life away. What bothers me is the fact that he has so much more natural ability then anyone I know.

Originally posted by fafalone

I thought I knew too much chemistry to study or even show up for class last semester.

I was right. A.

Congratulations!

Nonetheless, I'm guessing that you weren't born with a congenital understanding of chemistry and so at some point, you still had to put the study time in.

Your only as good as your lab equipment. Some of the abused crap like touchy scales or thermometers or bad chemicals only need to be off the slightest bit to screw you up. A's weren't easy at my cheap school.

Just aman

• 1 year later...

"Until all teachers are geniuses and enthusiasts, nobody will learn anything,except what they teach themselves."

-Aldous Huxley,Antic Hay

^^ Since this will not happen in the near future, anyone that wants to learn has to suck it up and learn by themselves. If you're stuck in a bunch of shitty required classes,in which your expected to reiterate every chapter in the textbook right back onto a test, grab a book and teach yourself about the world during the class.

There are so many things wrong with the education systems that it makes me sick to think about it. We waste hours upon hours of our lives sitting in classrooms memorizing definitions,translations,dates,and so-called facts that people have forgotten how to be creative,imaginitive, and independent. Don't get me wrong we need to memorize some basic facts so that we have a basic foundation to work with, but,for instance, memorizing the dates and importance or every battle in the civil war helps nobody.

I agree that honors and even A.P. classes are jokes. Im in mostly honors classes or A.P. classes along with 3/4 of the of the other students in the school. There are more kids in honors or A.P. then in regular classes. Also the ones that do deserve to be there end up being copied off of by the ones who don't. The progression in education is an illusion!

Another issue I want to recoginze is the problem of underpaid teachers. Teachers should be paid alot more, teaching should be among some of the highest paid occupations in the country. Then maybe a few more "geniuses" will choose to teach beacuse they can make a descent living off of it too.

I'm open to any criticizm and other opinions on these thoughts.

"Until all teachers are geniuses and enthusiasts' date=' nobody will learn anything,except what they teach themselves."

-Aldous Huxley,Antic Hay

^^ Since this will not happen in the near future, anyone [str']that[/str] who wants to learn has to suck it up and learn by themselves. If you're stuck in a bunch of shitty required classes, in which your you're expected to reiterate every chapter in the textbook right back onto a test, grab a book and teach yourself about the world during the class.

There are so many things wrong with the education systems that it makes me sick to think about it. We waste hours upon hours of our lives sitting in classrooms memorizing definitions, translations, dates, and so-called facts that people have forgotten how to be creative, imaginitive, and independent. Don't get me wrong we need to memorize some basic facts so that we have a basic foundation to work with, but, for instance, memorizing the dates and importance or of every battle in the civil war helps nobody.

I agree that honors and even A.P. classes are jokes. I'm in all honors classes or A.P. classes along with 3/4 of the of the other students in the school. There are more kids in honors or A.P. then than in regular classes. Also the ones that who do deserve to be there end up being copied off of from by the ones who don't. The progression in education is an illusion!

Another issue I want to recoginze recognize is the problem of underpaid teachers. Teachers should be paid alot a lot more, teaching should be among some one of the highest paid occupations in the country. Then maybe a few more "geniuses" will choose to teach beacuse because they can make a descent decent living off of from it too.

I'm open to any criticizm criticism and other opinions on these thoughts.

8/10

Brave is one of my more insightful students, but he would do better if he paid attention in class instead of prescribing his own syllabus.

-- Mrs Fatbottom

Sayanora:

Thank you for correcting my spelling errors.

I typed that in about 5 minutes. If i was writing an essay or an article I would have taken the time to maybe proofread my opinions. But in this case I was only trying to state my opinion,not impress any1 with writing skills.

But while on the subject of grammar. I believe that there is too much time wasted on it in school. Spending years from kindegarten to 12th grade learning english is a waste. Language is a device in order to communicate knowledge. If any1 reads my above post and cannot understand my views beacause of the many minor grammer mistakes then I'm sorry but I would find that hard to believe.

As far as that quote goes, it is very conditional. What exacatly is a "better student"?

better grades?

thinks more like everyone else?

more disciplined?

more prepared to contribute to society as a drone?

or

more intelligible?

more able to think for oneself?

more creative?

more understanding of the world?

Now pointed out, I have to agree with the fact that raising the salary of teachers will not solve anything. But I also do not think many people that are smart enough to land a job making $100,000 salaries will choose a teaching job for much much less instead.

I think the problem may not be the salary but the people doing the hiring and the people prescribing the curriculums.

Sayanora:

Thank you for correcting my spelling errors.

I typed that in about 5 minutes. If i was writing an essay or an article I would have taken the time to maybe proofread my opinions. But in this case I was only trying to state my opinion' date='not impress any1 with writing skills.[/quote']

I just wanted to be Mrs Fatbottom for a few minutes :P

I still show up at highschool in the hope that Mr Keating from "dead poets society" or someone similar will oneday walk into the class and actually remind me why i used to respect teachers so much.

How do you guys think I'm doing with this nation's education? What could I add or build up to further increase the quality of our youths' education? I hear enough complaints so please' date=' just give suggestions and not grumbling. I appreciate constructive criticism.

- The President[/quote']

Wait, wait wait. Is this guy for real?

I mean don't get me wrong, but surely the real President has other more important issues to spend his time on?!?