Should we get rid of the mosquitoes of the world?

Genecks

I don't like mosquitoes.

Sure, they may act as a food source for some species, but I'm not sure they are the only food source nor major for those particular species. As such, I'm thinking if there is a way to get rid of mosquitoes, then it should be done. They are a nuisance.

Is it ethical to get rid of mosquitoes from the world?

Honestly, if I knew how, I think I'd do it even if that meant I got rid of 80 species of frogs.

I don't like mosquitoes either, over the years I've fed tons of their larvae to my fish to condition them for breeding. Sadly the fact that fish love to eat their larvae as well as the creatures that feed on th adult insects is staggering and some creature actually live almost all their lives off either the larvae or the adults or both, ridding the world of mosquitoes would result in far more damage than loosing a few frogs....

Well, keep them critters in your own back yard! I don't like 'em either and have 6 zappers and a pond, "without fish". Clean, pretty, with a waterfall and kept full of chlorine.

Rigney! I thought we were becoming fast friends but a pond with a waterfall full of chlorine! Blasphemy! This long time aquarium pond lover is properly disappointed by such a terrible misuse of water!

Well, what would be the ethical dilemma? I do not like them is probably a tiny bit weak. Form an anthropocentric viewpoint one could argue that they are among the major (indirect) killers of the animal world. On the other hand one could put up a number of arguments including:

- ecological impact (as already mentioned)

- reduction of biodiversity

Though personally I am not sufficiently familiar with the ecological role of mosquitos in the respective habitats.