Faster than light

deltanova

I realy didnt know where to do this, but i wanna ask a couple of things

can anything travel over the speed of light,

and if so how much faster?

Thanks loads :P

(the reason for this is because my friend is trying to make me beleve cyclones on saturn travel 10 times the speed of light, and i dont realy beleive him.)

The lightspeed is not a barrier, you can go over it if you are able to. But for sure cyclons on Jupiter dont go even to lightspeed, maybe he means soundspeed?

what background in science do you have? from what i have read of your posts, you have no clue what you are talking about.

No perhaps the man is right. Hey, God knows I fly in my dreams, pigs too.

No seriously there are particles called tachyons that travel faster than the surrounding light, but that is a special case, since the light is traveling less than c, for example in water, it has a slower speed than in a vacuum, so particles that travel at 0.99%c can outrun it causing Cerenkov radiation which is kinda like sonic boom when you break the sound barrier, but for light. Other wise nothing with mass can travel at or faster than c.

No perhaps the man is right. Hey' date=' God knows I fly in my dreams, pigs too.

No seriously there are particles called tachyons that travel faster than the surrounding light, but that is a special case, since the light is traveling less than c, for example in water, it has a slower speed than in a vacuum, so particles that travel at 0.99%c can outrun it causing Cerenkov radiation which is kinda like sonic boom when you break the sound barrier, but for light. Other wise nothing with mass can travel at or faster than c.[/quote']

And When Tachyons in theory are alowed, there are always considerations that there is something wrong with the theory! And still, on the behalve of trying to spot this Tachyon... Well i just can't get a clue running on how to do it!

And Flak: If you are able to do what? Guess you forgot to answer that one ey!